One Mistake | Teen Ink

One Mistake

By AspireToInspire SILVER, Thornville, Ohio
AspireToInspire SILVER, Thornville, Ohio

Praepartur animus contra omnia. ♥

Homecoming queen. Valedictorian. A singing voice that only angels should possess and a smile that could light up an entire room. Gabrielle was the closest thing to perfect that any of us could ever imagine.

Gabby had it all. Brains, beauty, charm, talent, and a kindness unlike any other. She had an unbelievably close, wonderful family, and an incredible love for God. She always did the right thing. Everyone loved her, and she loved everyone. Like I said. She was perfect. And she was the last person in the world that this should’ve happened to.
Rumors spread like wildfire. No one was really sure about what happened and what condition she was in. But I heard the actual truth from the man who found her.
One night in late September, Gabby was driving while talking on the cell phone. A seemingly harmless decision. What a mistake. Somehow, she dropped the phone, and when she bent down to retrieve it, she lost control. She swerved, overcorrected, and ran off the road. It was a one car accident involving a telephone pole and a terrible impact.
Unconscious, she was airlifted to the hospital, where she was diagnosed with irreversible brain damage along with other things. She was put on life support, and there wasn’t much chance of her making it. Gabrielle was dying, and all because of one mistake.
Our school took the news hard when we found out. We all adored Gabby. How could this be happening to her? She had so much to give the world, so much that she could do. Why would this happen to her? There were tears everywhere as people started to find out, and even more when false rumors were going around that she was already gone. Each minute waiting for new news was agony, even for those of us who weren’t very close to her or her family. That’s how much of an impact she had on us. A prayer service was held that day after school for her, and at eight o’clock that night, everyone prayed for her and her family again. I know that I went to bed that night weary from tears and angry that it had been her, the girl with so much to offer.
The next day, no news surfaced. But we all knew. Gabby was gone. The news sank in, but less tears were shed. We had mourned while she was still alive. Instead, everyone started planning. Her family needed help, both emotionally and financially. Collections were started to help with funeral costs, and everyone jumped in to contribute. We had to do everything we could.
But this entire incident left everyone thinking. If this, this type of unfair accident, could happen to Gabby, the ideal person, then why couldn’t it happen to me? Why couldn’t it happen to you? One mistake in her life, and the consequence was fatal to her, and devastating to everyone else. Her untimely passing taught all of us a huge lesson in life, and in death. People who didn’t even know her were affected, and resolved to not talk on the phone while driving to prevent another accident like this. And I know that everyone in our little town took this as a chance to better their own lives.
I personally learned a set of lessons that won’t be forgotten anytime soon. Hug harder. Laugh louder. Love longer. Live every day like it’s your last. Have no regrets. Don’t put anything off. Always try to be the best person you can. And, most of all, don’t forget that everything can change with just one mistake.

Rest In Peace
Gabrielle B.

I initially wrote this piece to enter into an essay contest. I hope to win, because the prize money will be given to her family to help with funeral costs. But I decided to enter it here as well, so that teens can see the perils of driving while using a cell phone, be it calling or texting. I hope that this article will open some eyes and help to prevent a few more accidents.

dragonfan SILVER, Arcidia, Indiana

"Death truly makes an artist"

Wow,I'm so sorry that happened. This is so sad.=( Her family must really appreciate the things every thing is doing for them.

Inkspired PLATINUM, Whitby, Other

"If one will scoff at the study of language, how, save in terms of language, will one scoff?" - Mario Pei
"I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die." Isaac Asimov

I love this! It's so sad, and I can't believe it happened! I'm also really happy that you guys are doing all this stuff for her and her family, that is wonderful. Also extremely well written. Speechless.