My turning point story | Teen Ink

My turning point story

April 5, 2024
By Anonymous

My childhood memory is a little blurred now, but I remember I wasn’t that happy like I am now. I have changed a lot since I came to America. Not that much physically changes, such as appearance. Most things a got from America is the way of thinking.

In the past of my childhood, to be fair. I'm an aggressive person that expresses every single emotion immediately without thinking twice, so that causes me to lose friends easily. Also, my family wasn't that “peaceful ” before I came to America. My mom wants everything to be good for my studies, but I'm not a smart kid so I am always yelled at by my mom. However, due to some family stuff,I wasn't supposed to go to America and live here but I did. To be honest I'm really scared that I'm about to go to another country that I am totally unfamiliar with.I have to accept new cultures, new friends from everywhere around the world, and a new language that I never spoke before. I was told that I have to read and write like what I'm doing right now. My personality shaped me, I don't wanna get out of my comfort zone. There's like one week I fall into anxiety, unable to sleep well.

As the time flows, after we move to America. We've been here for almost 6 years, and my family started changing. I feel like we embrace each other more than before. Maybe it is because we know each other's feelings when we stay in another country. I'm getting more comfortable in America, and my brothers too. They grew up and they are staying fresh as always. Me and my mom aren't that aggressive and so “radical” than before. I'm not a kid anymore, so I learned not to express too much negative emotion in front of friends that makes me feel well and I did make a lot of friends during these 6 years. I'm still missing the place of my origin. Since I came to New York, I have never gone back before. If I can, I want to use a more mature view than before, to look around my hometown. To see where the difference of mindsets is between childhood and adulthood.