Solace in Ink | Teen Ink

Solace in Ink

By Izydt SILVER, San Ramon, California
Izydt SILVER, San Ramon, California

It was one morning when my mom couldn't help but worry. She noticed I was exhausted and bleary-eyed. I had a few hours of sleep before going to school that day.

That evening, I talked with my mom about my constant battle against the clock, complaining that I hardly had time to do other stuff, wondering how other kids could excel academically, and spending several hours doing extracurricular activities. Every night, we have tons of homework, and every week, we have exams. I barely have time to relax. I often utter to myself- 24 hours is not enough. It is suffocating, leaving me mentally and emotionally drained. Pounding headaches, my muscles feel super tight, and I’m so exhausted all the time. Sleep is playing hard; my mind is hustling with thoughts, and before I know it, morning is here. Stress is like a shadow following me.

What are my chances of getting into a good college? I'm always worrying if I'm doing enough. I'm not an athlete or a good singer. I gave up my flute lesson because I had no time. I have to find time to prepare topics to discuss with the students I am mentoring on the weekend. 

While looking for a planner, I stumbled upon my writing project folder from my 7th-grade English class. A poem that unlatched my senses to use writing as a de-stressor.

Browsing the internet, lo and behold, I told myself, "I want to share my writing." TeenInk became my haven to unleash my crunch. Crafting a poem or writing a short story diverted my attention away from my stress and stabilized my cortisol. Articulating my thoughts through words allows me to let off my steam. It is like watching my stress evaporate with each stroke of my pen. I discovered that my creativity through writing assisted me in seeing things from a different perspective. It became my anchor every time my ship started to drift aimlessly. Or when a complex equation arises, and the theorem demands my proof of resilience, I remain unfazed by the stressful situation. Through ink, it untangle the knots of my tensions, allowing me to breathe more freely.

Student's stressful life.