The Heartbreaking Audition | Teen Ink

The Heartbreaking Audition

October 30, 2023
By sadie-chong BRONZE, Boyds, Maryland
sadie-chong BRONZE, Boyds, Maryland
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I close my eyes, waiting for my turn. My heart is beating so fast I can’t even count the beats. I can feel it in my chest, in my throat. I sit in a chair staring at all these lockers. Looking at every room, thinking Wow, this is what it looks like. It’s double the size. I hear my name “Sadie Chong?” I had so many things on my mind. It's too much to count. My hands are shaking. I realized how much more practice I should’ve done. How much more help I should’ve asked for? The regret swooped in as I came through the door. 

           I never auditioned for a choir in person. They were all online. So I was able to make mistakes and try again. Yes, I did get into the middle school honors chorus in 8th grade, but that was an online audition. I never thought that auditioning for a high school honors chorus as an 8th grader would be so hard. I didn’t initially want to do it. I had no point because I knew it was going to be harder. I knew that I was going to screw everything up. It was risky and I wasn’t going to take that risk. But my teacher pushed me to do it. She told me I could. I didn’t believe her. But I took that risk. I put my best self forward and I went. This place looked like this huge prison. “Alright, Sadie. You may sing. Here is the starting note.” the teacher sternly said. I was so scared. My heart was racing like crazy. I opened my mouth, and thought Oh boy, this is not going to work out. Why did I do this? I sang. Then, suddenly with my shaky voice, I messed up the song. Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! What is wrong with me… She told me to restart and I was full of guilt. We moved on to the hardest part. I’m not good at reading notes, but my chorus teacher said it was easy. So I trusted her. Guess who was wrong about that. I struggled so much during that portion. After it was over, I was full of sadness and anger toward myself. I thought I was able to ace it as I did with the 8th-grade online audition, but it was so different and harder. 

           During the summer, I emailed my chorus teacher if she got any info on it because I never heard back from them. She replied, I was full of excitement, but also I was fully aware that I would probably not get in. I opened it. I didn’t get in. I felt a bit disappointed in myself. My heartbeat went from lightning fast, to calm as the summer ocean. I was understanding. I knew I wasn’t going to get in. But I did know that it was a meaningful experience. It was a good experience because now I know what the audition looks like if I ever do it in the future. Thank you to my teacher who gave me so much courage to take a huge risk and learn from it.


The author's comments:

What inspired me to write this piece, was being able to take a lot of risks during school and realizing how I started taking so many risks which ended up in such great experiences. I hope people will find that taking big risks can lead to great meaningful experiences. That, we can all learn from our experiences to do better and be more successful in life.