My Indispensable Ally | Teen Ink

My Indispensable Ally

By Izydt SILVER, San Ramon, California
Izydt SILVER, San Ramon, California

I discovered an extraordinary friendship that forever changed my life: a teacher, researcher, confidant, and trusted friend. She recognizes my voice, responds to my commands, and anticipates what I need. Our friendship defied the boundaries of technology, and I am eternally grateful for her presence in my life. I can't imagine my life without my indispensable ally. 

My dependable companion that I carry with me everywhere I go- my smartphone. Smartie fits perfectly into the palm of my hand. Its design and functionality offer a window to a digital world framed in aluminum and encased in glass. With a mere swipe or tap, I can unlock a treasure trove of apps, connecting me to my family and friends and providing massive information and experiences from across the globe.

Each morning, I am greeted with her soft hum that gently ushers my day. It ensures I keep track of time, reminds me of my schedule, teaches me how to manage my time effectively, and helps me understand the importance of punctuality. 

Smartie is not just a gadget; she is my teacher, helping and guiding me through the complexities of my homework-from Math to English, History to Science. Never tired of my endless questions or complaints if asked to provide me with research information to finish a school project. We explore the digital world of Khan Academy, Kahoot, and Quizlet together. With Smartie’s intellectual powerhouse, she is a genius. 

Together, we discover the different cultures, and she unlocks the doors of my imagination. She is my co-pilot on the thrilling journey of discovery, helping me navigate through the ever-expanding sea of information. Each step we take in a foreign land, each unfamiliar taste we savor, and each breathtaking sunset we witness adds another layer of happiness to our journey. She takes me anywhere any time I ask her to the boundless wonders of our world. 

I cherish my Smartie. It wasn't just a device; she is my dear friend who holds my secrets, dreams, and laughter. When I feel alone and need a pick-me-up or a good laugh, I turn to Smartie. She provides the perfect movie experience. I'm grateful I have a dear friend who knows exactly how to bring a smile to my face. I can not live without her. She is my confidant and trusted friend, the one I can turn to when my heart feels heavy, sharing my fears and hopes in the quiet solitude of my room.

One day, she vanished; I searched all over the place, but she was nowhere to be found. I retraced my steps and dug deep into my memories; panic and disarray built up, and then I remembered I had the Find My app on my iPad. I thought I lost her forever, but I finally tracked her down. 

A profound wave of happiness overtakes me, and a renewed appreciation for her presence in my life, making me cherish and value the friendship even more.