Box of Flowers | Teen Ink

Box of Flowers MAG

By 4grossmeyer BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4grossmeyer BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

This may be a little strange of an item to choose because most people will probably choose photos or their phone, pets, or sweaters, but I have this box in my room filled with flowers, and I would choose this box over any item. There are all different types of flowers from colorful roses to orchids to carnations. These flowers were given to me by my dad, grandparents, boyfriend, and more, from all different occasions. I’ve gotten
some on my birthday, or when I was sick. My boyfriend always gets me flowers just because he wants to, and especially when he comes home on his breaks from hockey. No matter the reason for them, they are all important to me.

Every time the flowers start to die, I would take them off the stems and let them air-dry for a few days before putting them in this clear, plastic box that sits on my desk. I chose a clear one so I can always see them. Some are six years old and some are only two weeks old. You can see the different layers from the first set to the newest.

A phone can be replaced, but the memories of those people who gave them to me or these flowers can not. Some are from great-grandparents or other relatives who have passed. It is so important to me to keep them for memory, especially if I don’t have many memories with those people.

Even though they may be old and shriveled up now and may not look very pretty, there is so much meaning behind each and every one of them. I will always carry this box with me in life and when it eventually fills, I will make a resin piece with them and start over again with the box, just so I can always have them even when I eventually move out. The resin pieces would be used to decorate my future home and whenever anyone asks about them, there will always be a story to tell.