My Truth Is... | Teen Ink

My Truth Is...

May 30, 2023
By MelissaNg SILVER, Lexington, Massachusetts
MelissaNg SILVER, Lexington, Massachusetts
5 articles 4 photos 0 comments

My truth wasn’t always my truth. My truth made me feel ugly and embarrassed. That was then. Now, that very same truth makes me feel pretty and confident. And the best part: my truth is with me all the time. Almost. It’s round, plastic, and frames my face. My truth is my pair of glasses, and as I like to call them, my secret power. Let me explain.


I didn’t always wear glasses. And that was just fine with me. But as I used my computer more and more, the world became a giant blur. Suddenly I had no choice- both my eye doctor and my parents insisted that I had to wear the horrid, dreaded spectacles.  I was scared of people thinking of me as the “four eyed” girl, like the nerdy students in the books and movies. For months I would sneak to the back row of the classroom with my glasses hidden away in my black case, taking them out only when absolutely necessary. 


One boring Friday in American History class, everything changed. As I was squinting at the board, hoping nobody was staring at me, the prettiest girl in eighth grade walked in with her new glasses, flipping her wavy hair and flashing a smile, like it was not a big deal. She seemed to be completely unfazed by her new chunky frames. It made me think even though my hair is not as wavy, and my smile is not as bright, that I can pull the glasses off as well. Maybe. Just maybe.


Once I made the decision that my glasses would be a part of me in my day-to-day life, I quickly realized that they are what make me unique. Once I put them back on, I feel like I’m opening my eyes to a whole different world. I can see everything crystal clear, which makes me feel confident all of a sudden- like I can do anything. And that confidence makes me feel pretty. Together, this is what makes my truth powerful.


So now, when I see another girl crouching in the corner of the classroom, trying to hide her glasses, feeling like an “ugly-duckling”, I will quietly let her know, “Your new glasses are nice! I like the design.” Hopefully, she’ll learn what I learned- it’s not about how the glasses make you look, but how they make you feel. 


Finally, this is my truth. Forever. 


The author's comments:

Here's what I want readers to know: We all have that ugly moment. But it really is possible to turn that moment into your superpower.