Senioritis | Teen Ink

Senioritis

By lxevndrk GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
lxevndrk GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

There are many other places I’d rather be than sitting at a desk under white LEDs. As a senior in high school in the final weeks of May, I can’t help but daydream about these places while teachers lecture my oversaturated mind. 

The first is Devil’s Lake. I can vividly remember jumping out of the car after a two hour drive with my friends and beginning our hike under the high June sun, celebrating the end of Sophomore year.

Racing across the train tracks, I felt so light without any responsibilities or worries weighing on me. There were no placement tests to schedule and no dull ache in my hip from months of competing in varsity track and field. It was just my friends and I, climbing up the random trail we stumbled upon, excited to end at the crowded beach. 

By the time we finished our hike, taking two hours for what was probably an hour trek, (we had to stop halfway up each hill to give the group time to recollect) the park was starting to clear out. As the sun dropped lower in the sky, we were less motivated to fully immerse ourselves in the cool water and settled for wading knee deep down the rocky shore. 

The smoke of barbecue drifted through the air, along with country music through a speaker; making me immediately jealous of the families spending the night at the park. We were tired and hungry—it was time to go. 

On the way back we awarded our active day with a stop at the Kiltie in Oconomowoc for dinner. The Kiltie is an old-fashioned drive-in restaurant where you’re served in your car and receive your food on a tray that sits on the window. It’s the ultimate symbol of summer in Wisconsin as it’s only open May through August, making it all the more special. 

I got the same order I’ve been getting since I could eat solid food; an animal circus sundae. The vanilla custard, fudge, and jimmies topped with frosted animal cookies is the only way to cap off a long summer day. 

If I couldn’t go to Devil’s Lake I’d be in Madison, the state capital. The city gained a new meaning to me when we dropped my older sister off at Witte for her freshman year of college. 

My twelve year old self pleaded, “let me stay with her, please!” but my Mom would hear none of it. I was jealous of Jackie for getting to spend her nights at college bars, and her afternoons at the Memorial Union Terrace while I stayed in our sleepy hometown. 

Visiting her on a rainy fall afternoon, I longed to be one of the students donning umbrellas and backpacks, crossing the street carelessly. There’s no way this is the same state as Hartland, I thought. Everything held a surreal air, energy exuded from the sidewalks. 

Luckily, this fall I get to fulfill the dreams of a 12-year-old me and become one of the busy students at UW Madison who cross the street without looking either way for oncoming traffic. I’ll no longer have to daydream in this desk under white LEDs.