Garrett M: What the United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

Garrett M: What the United States Flag Stands For

By 3monis GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
3monis GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Deep in the woods, a small clearing brims with roaring campfire light and the presence of Boy Scouts. Having fun and celebrating their country, they play games and put on skits for each other. Over time, the sun goes down and the forest grows dark and still. So does the campfire scene. An Army Veteran stands next to the restless flames of the fire.

“Today we have come together to honor many fallen soldiers; that is the reason we are here today,” he says.

Slowly, a procession brings forth old tattered star-spangled banners. They shimmer with past glory, but their rips and tears weigh them down.

I admire their beauty and the idea of them being retired is bittersweet.

Together, the flags are brought up to the fire by a procession, and the Army Veteran folds them before they are retired.

One by one heads are bowed, people are remembered, and the flags are tossed into the fire.

I think, while flags may wear away and cease to exist, the ideals and legacy of the nation they represent will always live on.

This piece was written for the FRA Americanism Contest. The title of the contest for the 2022 year was: What the American Flag Stands for.