My Downfall | Teen Ink

My Downfall

By maryannn PLATINUM, Sacramento, California
maryannn PLATINUM, Sacramento, California

"don't let it define you"

I'm an overthinker, but at times... I never thought before I act.

I’ve made plenty of mistakes, some of which I do try to learn from. Sometimes I have to relearn and think, “Am I making the right choice?”

Sometimes I think, “What if I’m wrong?”

One Monday morning. I was getting ready for school. I had woken up early, I took a while to do my makeup, and I was barely able to eat.

The outside was all wet from the night rain. I was in a hurry. Being in a hurry caused my downfall, as I forgot I was wearing slippers.

I thought, “Sh*t, I’m still wearing my slippers. I’m not going to wear slippers to school again.” I hated wearing those slippers, so I went back inside the house to switch my slippers for my favorite red shoes.

As I pulled the garage door closed, I tried running to the car. I thought that maybe, just maybe it would save me more time.

I said, “I’m going to be late.” It was all I thought about, but I didn’t think about how dangerous the wet concrete would be. I slipped. I bruised my chin, my knee, and the palm of my right hand.

While quickly processing what had happened, a man said, “Are you okay?”

I was not okay. However, I said, “Yes thank you.” 

I thought, “I just ate sh*t.” The pain felt like hell.

A few days later, I talked with my mom to get an appointment with my dentist, even though I was scared of going to appointments. At the end of the school week, I left school early and went to the dentist clinic.

I hate dentists and doctors. I’m afraid of them. While I was crying in the chair, the dentist checked my front tooth. The needle surveyed my teeth, while it touched a nerve in my tooth.

The excruciating pain made me think of how stupid I was. How stupid I was, to run and slip onto the concrete ground. My front right tooth was chipped and cracked.

The dentist said, “She needs a root canal and a crown.”

When I left the dentist clinic, I learned that I shouldn’t run on the ground where the rain has fallen.

I'm an overthinker who expects the worst. However, I didn't know what exactly to expect.