Attitude and Effort | Teen Ink

Attitude and Effort

By RACECAR2 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
RACECAR2 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

It was the start of the soccer season my senior year and the talk was about fundraising. The product was basically a coupon card with a ton of local places on it.  We each received a stack of 21 cards. There was a difference in how I looked at them and how my teammates looked at them. Everyone else looked at them like it was just another dumb fundraiser, I looked at them with the essence of possibility and opportunity. The cards were $20 each and the goal was to have each person sell 21 of them before the 2 weeks given was up but there was no limit to how many you could sell. I had the feeling of determination planted in me and I was locked in. I set a personal goal of double that, 42.

As soon as practice was over, I raced to my car with the thought of the most spectacular selling location. I looked back at all my other teammates, sluggishly moving towards the parking lot with little intent. I was going to sell the most. To Bristlecone Pines! boomed the voice in my head as I smacked my car into drive and let off the brake. In mere hours I had sold 16. I went home proud. 

The very next day was a Saturday, no practice, the major intent to sell a lot, but I only had 4 cards to my name. This wasn’t stopping me. I emailed my coach asking if there was any way I could receive more cards without waiting until Monday. I found myself arriving at his house and he handed me 21 more at the front door with a toothy grin and wished me good luck. I sold 18 that day. 

My determination stayed consistent for the entire 2-week period, unfortunately not being able to go out every day and only a few hours at a time, but every time I did, I sold no less than 10. By the time the 2 weeks was up I had sold a total of 72 cards accumulating to $1,440.