Chaotic Trip to Greece | Teen Ink

Chaotic Trip to Greece

My most memorable trip was a field trip to Greece when I was in grade 6. The whole point of the trip was to learn more about the architecture, ancient people’s lifestyles, and Greece in general since that's what we have been learning all throughout grade 6. As a high schooler now, I barely remember anything I've learned at school that was related to Greece, but back then, I found the trip extremely helpful in really understanding the lessons I had in class. 

It was a one-week trip, and the field trip was extra special to me because it was my first time traveling abroad without having my parents come with me. Now, when I recall the trip, the first word that comes to my head is ‘chaotic’. It was an absolute mess traveling with a bunch of 6 graders (including myself) without a chaperone for individuals. First off, a girl who sat in front of me on the airplane had this whole vomit issue going on, making the whole plane smell like pretzels. She pretty much vomited all over a boy who was sitting next to her, and seeing him trying to look ‘ok’, careful not to make her feel more embarrassed just… made me feel so sorry for him. All the teachers just hurried over trying to help the girl feel better, and everyone was just watching her vomit for 5 minutes straight. I definitely wasn’t an exception. 

Throughout the trip, everyone was just complaining about how tired they were from the endless walking and lectures. We would take essay-long notes about how the Romans made the columns for the temples, trying to react excited as best we can although nobody could care less about why the columns were curved. For the meals, we were given spaghetti and orange juice which was actually really great. It would have stayed amazing if THEY DIDN’T FEED US THE EXACT SAME THINGS FOR 7 DAYS STRAIGHT. After the first 3 days, everyone just refused to eat if the only thing available was spaghetti and orange juice, so the teachers had to contact the restaurants one by one to check whether they had anything besides those. 

On the way back, a friend of mine had this horrible asthma attack at the airport on the way back, so she had to get sent to the hospital right away. I don’t remember whether she managed to get on the plane, but I remember thinking this trip couldn’t get worse. The trip was memorable to me not because it was such a unique experience, but because it was one of the most stressful and exhausting trips I have ever had.

This is a short writing on my experience during a field trip in grade 6.