The Visible Invisible | Teen Ink

The Visible Invisible

By Elizabeth4334 SILVER, Irvine, California
Elizabeth4334 SILVER, Irvine, California

It's depressing to ruminate about the doors that closed yesterday. It's liberating to look for the doors that are open today.

In a blink of an eye, it was time for lunch. My friends and I skittered together to the big open field, where we can enjoy our meals while maintaining proper distance. Settling down in a shady area, I adjusted into a comfortable posture, ready to have a good time. 

Sofia sat down beside me. I took a glance at her to make sure that we are well apart before I noticed that she was rummaging through her backpack in agitation. 

“What’s wrong? Are you trying to find something?” I asked her nonchalantly. 

“Yes!” Sofia responded, “I forgot to bring my water bottle. Now that all the water fountains are closed due to this stupid covid business, I have to remember to bring my own water everyday. Ugh, how ridiculous!” Then, as if remembering something important, her hands slumped to her sides and her brows furrowed. “Oh wait… I have soccer practice today. You’ve got to be kidding me. I am going to die under this cursed cali weather. Oh, what am I going to do!”

She buried her face into her hands and curled up into a ball. I examined her piteous figure and my heart could not bear to see her like this. “Well, do you want to have some from mine? I still have a full bottle.” I blurted out.

Sofia’s head jerked up like that of a newborn puppy at the sound of a squeaking toy. “Will you be so generous? Oh, Lisa, I love you forever for this!” With that, she rushed towards me and embraced me in a tight hug before I could utter anything.

I had no choice, then, but to surrender my water bottle. 

As I watched Sofia gulp down mouthful after mouthful, the ominous words of our principal revived in my mind: you are to avoid close contact with others at all times. We are still in a global pandemic, so please do not take this matter lightly. 

I squirmed inwardly. But another obstinate voice in my head appealed to me in defense: It’s fine. It’s only Sofia. She’s your best friend. Think about it. What’s the chance of you actually getting covid? It’s only for old people anyway. The principal just said that to scare you guys. I can’t believe you actually believed him!

“Thank you so much bestie!” Sofia’s ringing voice brought me back to reality. She was holding the water bottle in front of her, ready to return it to me. I narrowed my eyes on it. Sooo, if I drink from the same hook I’ll get covid, huh? A sense of incredulity accompanied that logic. I’m going to prove that this is all just complete rubbish! I snatched the water bottle and swallowed the remaining water in mere seconds.

Sofia stared. “You okay?” She asked.

“Yes I’m perfectly fine!” I responded, a bit breathless after filling my stomach with so much liquid. 

The bell rang. We all packed up and got ready to head to our afternoon classes. Sofia planted a light kiss on my forehead and immersed into the crowd. 

I, too, started to head to my next period. As my feet crossed the threshold of the classroom, I felt a slight tickle in my throat. I couldn’t help but let out a few dry coughs. 

I froze. 

The invisible just became visible. 

COVID-19 is not a matter to be taken lightly. It is very real and very hurtful. Pain is usually our best teacher, but this is NOT a lesson you'd want to learn through trial and error (speaking from personal experience). So please, just be careful and keep others' well-beings in mind when you are out and about. The more cautious we all are, the sooner life can return to normal.