Do you remember? | Teen Ink

Do you remember?

By eraquss SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
eraquss SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Muffled conversations are filling the hall, I feel a little stressed with everyone around but it’s nothing I’m not used to. I’ve waited all weekend for this class. I'm ready to be so cool and so smart I’m going to blow the class away with my creative expertise. The hallway is clear, I look both ways before I proceed. The door was right ahead, the same blue door with the same text and borders littering the windows. 

I can't wait to see what will happen today in creative writing. The room is so silent, it always is, fills us with a sort of fight or flight, if I speak everyone will hear me, everyone will know if I slip up, everyone. 

Personal narratives. 

Huh? Wait, what? But i- I don’t. The class is silent as ms. Zerbe shares her published work with the class, I faintly remember the topic of crying coming up before I go off into my mind wanders thinking about my oc’s and what they do if they were a teacher, my oc’s being happy or falling in love and having their first kiss, I should be thinking about what to write, I wish I could write about my characters, the idea of myself bores me enough to create characters in my head to escape to every once in a while. Maybe Mo can help, right? “Football am I right?” “Pfft yeah, football” a little quiet maybe I should just wait for a little, “I'll write about my first among us” “I’ll write about sephiroth in smash!” as much as I like joking I have no idea what to write, “Nothing ever happens to e what am I suppose to write about! Hahaha,” I say to my peers “Mo what should I write about!” no response or none that I can make out, “Hey, why are you asking Mo, I know you better anyways!” Dani pats me on the back. “Then what do you think I should write about?” I asked her, not sure if she’d give me a good enough answer to write a whole narrative around, but I appreciate her trying to help. Classical music is interrupted by the sounds of the whole typing they know what they want to do they have their own stories they want to tell, is it that easy? Nobody looks lost, nobody is confused. Mo comes on to say something y’know anything, he’s working. Nyla’s working Dani’s working Kyra’s working. What was a class that looked forward to getting up this morning turned into a fight or flight? It shouldn’t be like this why do you have to be so emotional? Who are you, what makes you who you are? Nothing! And you know that your life is built up off of hiding from bad experiences that nobody knows about, everyone has a story to tell, why did I get the short end of the stick. My eyes feel familiar, the sensation I know to all too well, my mind hurts the silence keyboard taps are killing me. I want to lay my head down, I want to go to sleep. 

THUD.

My leg got caught in the chair and I fell onto the floor. Ow, as if my day wasn't already terrible, I embarrassed myself in front of the whole class. 

“Hey, are you alright? Do you want to go to the nurse?” 

My voice hurts, it sounds too much like I'm gonna cry, I don't want to make a fool of myself so I have to cover it up. 

“Sniff yeah I'm good..” my voice is still shaky play it off. “I’d go to the nurse but I don't want to be sent home, haha oh I broke my arm looks like I have covid.'' Hopefully, I played that off. 

I think I'll just chill for the rest of class. How could a day turn sour so quickly, 

I just want to go home...

:(