The Woman Who Cries in the River | Teen Ink

The Woman Who Cries in the River

February 15, 2022
By tina68 SILVER, Wilmingtion, Delaware
tina68 SILVER, Wilmingtion, Delaware
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was walking with the stars shining in the dark blue sky. I was outside the apartment building, walking around the parking lot. I returned to the apartment building as I opened the door to the building, and I heard a woman crying. I walked the stairs to follow the weeping to my apartment, and I followed it to my room when there was a dark figure. It was taller than me, and a dark green aura was surrendering it. The figure was the source of the weeping, and then it turned around with its red blood eyes and black tears to look at me.

When I was younger, I would visit my family back in Mexico in the summer. Usually, I would return home with sweets, movies, and other items. This specific movie was a sequel to The Legend of The Nahuala, created in Mexico in 2007. The film is about a boy named Leo. He has to go to a haunted mansion and save his older brother from the Nahuala, a creature disguised as a woman. During his journey, he meets people who will become his allies to help him defeat her. In the end, they save the day, stop the evil entity, and end the film. However, the pope of the church asked Leo to go to Xochimilco. He had to save the town from the source that was stealing children in the night. When I returned to my home, I took the movie out of its package. The title of the film spelled out The Legend of The Weeping Woman in Spanish. I played the movie, which starts with two children, a brother, and a sister, walking the streets in the night with bags asking for candy. The sister complained about receiving fruits instead of sweets. They find a lit-up house, and the little girl wants to go to the house. However, the brother does not want to go, so he decides to stay, and the sister goes alone. As the brother waits, weeping from a distance. He looks around, and he sees a woman's shadow--the source of the weeping. To distract her away from his sister, he calls out her name, Llorona. The woman turns to look at him with her crimson red eyes and runs to him. The boy runs away until he comes up to a dead end, and she takes him away as fast she comes. The Weeping Woman had dark-green blueish long hair, pale white skin, a wrinkly face, a white dress with a blue striped collar, and black tears dripping across her face. 

In Mexican folktale, the weeping woman was a mother with two children. After she found out her husband was with another woman, she drowned her children in the river. When she realized it, she jumped in and drowned. The details change from time to time. 

I recognized the terrifying voice and red wine orbs. As she locked her eyes on me, I felt a wave of terror hit me suddenly. Swamp veins appeared behind her and flew me into her arms. I opened my eyes in the middle of the night. I went to my mother's side and asked to sleep in her bed for the night, and she responded with a yes. I snuggled with the warm blankets. The dread in my body was finally off my chest. It was comforting to feel affection from my mother. It distracted me from the frightening dream. I wasn't alone in the dark with the woman with bloody red eyes ever again.