Don’t Judge a Book by its Cover | Teen Ink

Don’t Judge a Book by its Cover

January 3, 2022
By vxroni_ BRONZE, Sacramento, California
vxroni_ BRONZE, Sacramento, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Mistakes are painful when they happen, but years later a collection of mistakes is what is called experience." - Denis Waltey


I misjudged my best friend, Mia, in middle school. It started when I was a 6th grader, I saw this 7th grader girl in the hallway, and she was really loud.  I was so quick to judge that she was just an annoying and loud girl. “She seems kind of annoying..” I said to my friends.


Then I became a 7th grader, and she was an 8th grader. Almost half of the day was over, I walked to my 5th period class. The tables were all put together, and it looked like a letter “U” shape. Then I saw her, but I didn’t think about it too much. I also saw a couple of my friends, and I went to sit next to my friends. Me and Mia sat near each other, but I didn’t really talk to her.


I remember that class was really loud and talkative. So almost everyone in that class was talking to each other. Then me and Mia just started talking to each other, because everyone around us was talking to each other. We didn’t even introduce ourselves, we just somehow started talking. Then once we kept talking to each other everyday, we became friends.


Everyday we would just laugh and take videos the whole class time. Sometimes we won't finish work when we’re supposed to, and we would just joke around. Honestly, Mia became my best friend, and she was the person I liked being around with. She made me laugh and smile when I was feeling down. 


Now I look back, and I realized that I shouldn’t have judged Mia by her actions. I regretted misjudging Mia, because Mia is actually a great and funny person. She was there making me laugh when I was at my worst, and she still is making me laugh today. I learned to not judge people so quickly by their actions or how they look, because I will never know if they’re a cool person.


The author's comments:

What inspired me to write this misjudgement story is the Burbank students from the past who wrote their story about who misjudged them or who they misjudged. Their stories were interesting, and there was one when a student misjudged their teacher.