I Really Hate Boats | Teen Ink

I Really Hate Boats

By awoogalex SILVER, Tirana, Other
awoogalex SILVER, Tirana, Other

E

I woke up to the sun shining through my curtains. Once my eyes have adjusted to the sunlight, I turn to open my phone and check the time. 

7:28 am  

I get up and go to the kitchen where I see my mom making breakfast.  

"Morning, Ma.”   

"Good Morning, Alex," she says as I take a bowl out from the cupboards, "How did you sleep?"  

"Fine, I wish I had slept more though,” I take the cereal from the pantry and pour it into the bowl, "do we have any milk?" I ask.  

"Yep, I was using it to make coffee, it’s next to the coffee maker,” She points to the coffee maker and the milk carton next to it.  

"Thanks.”  

I walk over, grab the carton of milk, and pour it into the bowl. Once I’m done making my breakfast I sit down on the couch and turn on the TV. 

"Say, are we still going on that boat ride today?" I ask.  

"Yep, we’re just waiting for the others to wake up," she responds from the kitchen.    

While watching TV I hear my dad and sister wake up and get ready to go out.   

"Alex, come on we’re all ready." My mom says to me. 

I get up and go outside to my bike and we all get going to the boat rental. On our way there we bike past a few stores, but it was mostly an uneventful trip. 

My sister and I got on the boat and waited for our parents to join us. While we waited, I had a chance to get a good look at the boat. The boat was white with comfy seating and a front deck big enough for two people to sit on. Once we all were on the boat my dad started the engine and we were on our way. 

On the boat, I admire my surroundings. I look down at the water and notice a fish and reach down to try and touch it.   

"Alex, be careful-” My mom had said something afterward; however, I didn’t hear her. As I turned to ask her what she said, my balance was caught off guard.  

It took a while for me to register what happened, but the first thing I noticed was the cold. Then water rushed into my lungs and it instantly got harder to breathe as I tried to swim up. I couldn't tell which direction I was going in but what I did know was that my lungs felt like they were burning. Suddenly it felt like I was dragged out of the water and I noticed I had my eyes scrunched closed.

I opened my eyes to see that I was huddled up in a blanket and drenched in water.  

“Alex are you alright?” asked my mom.  

“Yea...yea, I think so. So, can we go back home now?”  

“Yep! We're going back now,” Victoria answered. She was on the other side of the boat sitting next to my dad.   

The next hour consisted of me being swaddled up in a blanket while my mom tried to help the best she could. Then we got back to the boat rental. I sat on the boat with my dad and sister while we waited for my mom to come back with new clothes. She had bought me a t-shirt and pants from a store on the side of the road so I wouldn’t need to bike home in wet clothes.  
Once I had changed and we had returned the boat, we got out our biked and headed home.

By the time we got back home, I was exhausted. The first thing I did when I went inside was crash onto the couch. This whole occasion was eventful. All I know now is that I really hate boats.  

This is the story of a trip I went on with my Family a few years back.