My Biggest Pet Peeve | Teen Ink

My Biggest Pet Peeve

February 26, 2021
By ElizabethLee123 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
ElizabethLee123 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It’s 7:25-- the bell has just rung, and it’s time for me to get to class. I start to move at a rapid walking pace. Strolling down the hall and enjoying myself, then a group of sluggish, giggling girls turns to the corner to cut me off. My speed-- cut in half.

7:26 and I have to get moving, but how does this quintet of girls take up the whole hallway, which leaves me walking at a leisurely pace. Step by step by step feels like months, which turns to years, which turns to decades. The girls chat and don’t give a care in the world that they are moving slower than snails.

I stare ahead longing to be ahead and just be in my first hour on time. How slow can you possibly be? Don’t you see I want to pass you? Do you even notice how slow you are? My grandma can walk faster than this! I think to myself.

I sigh loudly, hopefully, they’ll notice my dismay and move. Each of them is babbling about some topic that I refuse to listen to. I check my watch to see that it is 7:27, and I still have a whole hallway to cover.

If only I could walk by and show them that they walk like a herd of turtles I think. Maybe that would get them into shape, but no. The many students that are in the hallway prevent me from squeezing through. I’m stuck. I’m stuck in this unfortunate and rather irritating situation. Knowing that people walk this slow and unaware of others walking faster, makes my blood boil.

7:28 and the door to my class is in view. Just let me through. I’m almost there, just a little bit further. I try to calm myself down. Wanting to yell at them won’t help, so I stand there convincing myself that I can make it to the class and it will be okay. Each step is progress and sometimes progress just takes some time; however, another side of me wants to demolish everything and just let out a bloodcurdling scream.

7:29--I have this internal fight in my head to either stay calm or to let all hell break loose. Knowing I need to behave and be the bigger person, I stay calm. Breathe. Ten feet away, there stands the door. The door--an escape, peace, and refuge from the madness stirring inside of me.

Beep. I heard the bell, and I had made it to class. I let out a long deep breath. Why did I act that way? I didn’t need to be so outraged. Was I acting too irrational especially over something that is so trivial? I sit there for a second and think because what is so wrong with someone enjoying a stroll down the hallway with their friends?


The author's comments:

This story is about one of my pet peeves that really gets under my skin. I wrote about how I feel and it poses as a story to show the importance of this piece to me. I display the feelings that I feel and bring my pet peeve to life. I show how pet peeves get to people and how they can make certain people feel. Then I resolve what is going on and it shows a healthy way to get rid of the pet peeves that I have.