2 Distant Houses | Teen Ink

2 Distant Houses

By evaf13 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
evaf13 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

The two places that have separated me. I am the one who has experienced the pain. Two distant houses with faded shingles and dusty shutters alike. Two who keep their distance but remain close. Two dark shadows caused by uncivilization. From one place to another, I can feel them, but I can’t sleep and acknowledge this.

Their secrets hide. They dig their lies deep under the surface. They float up and float down and grab my ears with their piercing noise and rip my heart with their savage grip and never stop reappearing. This is their block. 

Make me lose sense of hope and being, they sink like a dark pebble in water, each slowly falling into the blue haze. Deep, deep, deep they go while I weep. They destroy.

When I feel too lonely and afraid to go on, when I feel small near the large world that holds me, it is the two houses that haunt me. When there is nothing left I blame them. Two who detached without options. Two who forgot to hold on and hold close. Two whose only reason is to demoralize.