The Wonder of Fishing | Teen Ink

The Wonder of Fishing

October 10, 2019
By Ethan--Johnson GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Ethan--Johnson GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I yawn as my dad revs the engine and takes off across the water, leaving a wake the size of ocean waves. It is too early to be fishing, I think.

Arriving to the spot where we want to fish, my dad hands me my rod set up and I ready to cast into the deep blue waters of Lake Catherine in northern Wisconsin.

There are no clouds to be seen in the light blue sky, and no wind to be felt. The water  is calm, reflecting the trees on the water like one giant canvas, only to be disturbed by our worm baited hooks splashing against the glass like surface.

I look out into the wilderness. My eyes see the deep green pine trees full of brown pinecones, and hardwood trees containing different colors of leaves. A grey squirrel chitteres a warning before disappearing into the brush. Silently, a family of deer creeps out of the forest. The buck with his high antlers watch us carefully, on guard, as the doe prods her white spotted babies along.

“Ethan, come help me net this fish,” my dad calls out, bringing me out of the trance nature had put me in. I grab the net and scoop up a largemouth bass. It twists and flops about trying to get free of the barbs. Its scales are all different shades of color, the sun reflects off them making them glow. Its red eyes stare back at me as I hold it up for a picture. I gently place the large fish back into the water, watching it swim away, racing back to a safe depth. Alive. 

The rush of catching a fish is like none other. There is a moment of exhilaration when I feel that first pull on the line, when the clueless fish starts snacking away on the worm. The surge of power as I yank back the rod to set the hook, knowing that I have it. There are tense moments during the battle as I reel in the monster fighting for its life. And there is peace in letting the beautiful fish live another day.

As I sit here enjoying the day in nature with my dad, I begin wondering. What would happen if nature did not exist, if there were no trees and green luscious grass?  What if the air was sooty and the water too poisoned to drink? What if nature was replaced by but only piles of trash and waste? I wonder what the future holds for our world?

“”Ethan, let’s move to the next spot,” my dad calls out, snapping me out of my trance. 

Soon, the bow of the boat lifts as we begin to move over the water. I take a moment to say a little prayer, thankful I don’t have to worry about it today.