California | Teen Ink

California

By bdgraham SILVER, Lake St. Louis, Missouri
bdgraham SILVER, Lake St. Louis, Missouri

I’m standing there, on the beach, barefoot, crinkling the cooling sand between my toes. I look from one side of the beach to the other, taking in all its wonders. The wind was slightly blowing the sea spray in my face. The sun was just on the horizon, turning the sky a beautiful shade of orange. The waves were calming and all I could smell was the sea salt and seaweed. The seagulls were calling to each other over the waves, and people are laughing in the distance around the bonfire. I stand there for the next few, still moments watching the sun slowly set. For a moment, the sun turns green and disappears.

The next day I go to the place where dreams come true. I drive up to the gate of Disneyland, and just about cry. Once we park and get on all our sunscreen we go inside. I am welcomed by Mickey and Minnie, Cinderella and Prince Charming, and even Peter Pan. I run up to all of them, giving them big hugs. “It’s a Small World” is playing over the speakers as I walk around to other characters and attractions.

I go on Space Mountain, Dumbo, and Pirates of the Caribbean. Once we are off of that ride we go next door and eat at that cafe. I enjoy my kids macaroni and cheese, and my light up Tinkerbell. By now the sun had set and we are all tired, so we gather up all our belongings and make out way to the exit. On our way there we stop at the Castle and watch the fireworks. Now that we have seen the fireworks, we know that out magical day has come to an end.

The next day I wake up in my loft bed and look across the room at my sister, who is still asleep. I quietly get down from my bed and make my way down the hall to the kitchen. My mom made scrambled eggs, sausage, and biscuits for breakfast. I sat on the shaggy red rug in the living room as I ate, watching The Lion King on the TV. Eventually, my sister comes out of our room and joins me. It is a nice day in El Cajon and my sister and I knew just what we wanted to do.

As soon as we are done eating, we get dressed and make out way down the street to the rocks. The rocks are our favorite place to play. There’s just a huge field with a multitude of huge rocks that we like to climb. We challenge ourselves by trying to climb the biggest one, and we have fun sliding down the one shaped like a piece of cake. We played out there all day and when I got back inside, my face was tainted red.

Sea World is one of my favorite places to go. The sea lion shows, walrus shows, and Shamu show. I always have to see the show in the ocean with the trapeze artist. Walking around the park, we get Frozen Lemonade and Dippin Dots and see the Clydesdales walking around. Right before we leave we go on Atlantis and I scream the whole way through it.

The warm weather, the beach, and the palm trees are what made me fall in love with California. It always looks so beautiful and makes me so happy. There is so much to do there and you will never be left with nothing to do. Even if you don’t have any money, you can just go to the beach or walk on Hollywood Boulevard. The food there is also great and always makes me happy.

This is about my childhood home.