Goodbye Gordie | Teen Ink

Goodbye Gordie

By Spider-Monkey BRONZE, Slidell, Louisiana
Spider-Monkey BRONZE, Slidell, Louisiana

My grandmother, Gordie, was born on May 23, 1940 to Ursula Pellegrini Carr and Ernest Joseph Smith in a shotgun house in New Orleans. She graduated from Nicholls High School in 1958 and was offered an academic scholarship to Newcomb College. She turned the scholarship down, so she could start working at New Orleans Chamber of Commerce. I think that is why she always encouraged me to work hard in school. Gordie moved to Slidell in 1966, and she worked at Our Lady of Lourdes, while my mom and uncle went to school here. She then got a job with Dr. Cary Gray as the office manager, which Gordie said that it was one of the best times of her life working for such a wonderful man.

All of these facts about her life cannot describe what kind of amazing person she was. It’s impossible to put into words what Gordie meant to me. I have known her all my life, but 14 years seems so small compared to how many people have known her their whole lives. There are countless stories and memories that were shared with each and every one of you. She truly blessed all of our lives. Gordie was a funny, loving, strong, and compassionate woman; and I strive to be half the woman she was.

I could go on forever about the memories I had with Gordie: the weekends I would spend at her house when I was little; the countless card games we played during our camping trips, which she would always let me win; our fascination with my rubber chicken; staying up late to watch crime shows and Wheel of Fortune, which Gordie somehow correctly answered before the contestants; and just being in each other’s presence.

When I think of Gordie, I remember the big hugs and smiles she would always pass my way. I’ll always remember the way she sang to me in the car after picking me up from school. I’ll always remember the way her shoulders would shake when she was laughing. I will never forget her.

In a way, I am carrying on her legacy by wearing her necklace. The only time I had ever seen her without it was when she went into surgery, and I wore it for her. I feel as if I carrying around apart of Gordie that will always be a constant reminder of her love.

Gordie loved many people in her life, but nothing was greater than the love for her family. Family was always a big part of Gordie’s life, and you didn’t have to be related to her to be family. This caused some confusion for me when I was little because I tried to put half of Slidell on my family tree. I hope that I will have the kind of relationships Gordie had with her family and friends in my own life. Even a stranger could tell that she only had love in her heart for her family.

My mom and uncle told me that Gordie was a strict disciplinarian while they were growing up, which is unfathomable to me. I can’t image her dumping a bowl of spaghetti on my Uncle Dave’s head, or putting pepper into my mom’s mouth.

Gordie is like the glue that brings our family together; her presence in our lives holds together as a family. I wouldn’t know half of the amazing people in my life, if it wasn’t for Gordie. When she was diagnosed with cancer there were people coming to visit her at any time of day, while she was staying at our house. Someone was always there to keep her company.

Gordie was like a light in our dark lives. Her smile could make the darkest days better. Gordie always looked for the good in people, and I had never heard her say a bad word about anyone, not matter what they did. She was kind and caring towards everyone and had a big heart that could never be matched. Gordie appreciated the value of every person. She always told me to say “I love you” at the end of a conversation because we have no clue when our time is up.

It seems like yesterday we were swimming in the lazy river at the Hollywood Casino. But, I know in my heart that she is in a better place. Gordie has been telling me since I was little that she wanted to see me graduate from high school. I know that she may not be physically there, but I know she will be watching.

This is the eulogy I wrote for my grandmother; I want to share her memory with the world.