Past, Life, and Future | Teen Ink

Past, Life, and Future

By Lily20 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Lily20 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

“As soon as we apply restrictions on our freedom, the very nature of it is corrupted, and as we enjoy this privilege, we must also cede it to those who hold vies that are objectively horrid” (Kelly, M.). Our voices can make a difference; the reasons we can express our opinions is through the freedoms we are granted as citizens. Freedom of speech is a right that is provided for us: it protects our past, life and future.

Past. Thomas Stemper, as a protector and fighter, selflessly offered his services to protect others. During the Korean War, Thomas fought for his country. He dedicated his life in the Air Force, helping serve and protect by fixing airplane engines. His past represents his experiences, intertwined with his memories. Thank you, Grandpa, for helping fight for me and my rights and freedoms.

Life. Cindy Stemper, a supporter of womanhood, held her sign. “We the people, stand for equality.” Tears gleamed in her eyes, squinting as she looked at the women cramming the crowded streets of D.C. like a field of flowers, protesting against President Trump. Her life is her period of existence; she gets to express her opinions in the way she feels is the most effective. Thank you, Aunt, for standing your ground and inspiring me to do the same.  

Future. Vicky Stemper, as a young mom of two toddlers, brought her family from Wolverhampton, England, 3,790 miles to America. Vicky had dreams to guide her family. She earned her Green Card and started her own business, supporting her daughter and son. Her future was making sacrifices in order to have hopes and dreams for the next day. Thank you, Mom, for your sacrifices to help my future.

Freedom of speech is a moral duty, not just a political right. While freedom's provide us access to a powerful tool, it is up to every individual to properly use it. Freedom of Speech is something that helps shape our future by using our past to guide us through life. Thank you, all, for allowing my voice to make a difference.