When I Was | Teen Ink

When I Was

November 13, 2018
By jlwahm GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
jlwahm GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Your mind is a garden and your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds."


When I was two-years old, the neighbor boy stole my toy stroller and refused to give it back. It was the first time someone underestimated me. When I was two-years old, I was ignorant of the disadvantages I would be forced to overcome.

When I was eight-years old, a teacher asked for the strong boys to assist her. It was the first time I felt incapable. When I was eight-years old, I knew little of the disadvantages I would be forced to overcome.

When I was thirteen-years old, a boy hit me in the face. It was the first time a boy who refused to listen truly terrified me. When I was thirteen-years old, I faced the disadvantages I would be forced to overcome.

When I was fourteen-years old, a boy slammed my computer closed and demanded my attention. It was the first time a boy thought he was entitled to my consideration. When I was fourteen-years old, I lived the disadvantages I would be forced to overcome.

When I was fifteen-years old, I was harassed by a boy who refused to let go of me. It was the first time I felt scared for my safety. When I was fifteen-years old, I cried because of the disadvantages I was forced to overcome.

Today, I am sixteen-years old and I walk with confidence. I stand with my sisters as they march with signs through the streets. I stand with them as we fight for our equality and as we fight against the government and anyone who oppresses us.

Today, I use my freedom of speech to fight for a world where my baby cousin can live without limitations, and where she can call out her complaints. I fight alongside many others for the thousands of women who are afraid to speak for themselves, for all the girls who were told that they couldn’t. Because I believe now is the time to make a change.

When I was younger I was naive towards the disadvantages, but I am no longer sheltered. Today, I come closer to overcoming them.