It's Broken! | Teen Ink

It's Broken!

By Taylornelson22 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
Taylornelson22 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

It’s Broken!

“Issy, I can’t walk; it hurts to bad!” I wailed.

It was December 30th, 2016. I was on my way to my friend Issy’s birthday party at House of Boom. I had never been before, so I was ecstatic! Taylor, you can’t get hurt. Softball starts back up soon, I thought to myself. My mom had talked to me about House of Boom and how all her friends’ kids had gotten hurt there. I was scared since I’m already accident prone enough; I was going to be another name on the list of kids who broke something. Well, that’s exactly what happened.

I got to House of Boom and ran to the room where all the parents were because I was late. Shocker. I took my shoes off and turned into Usain Bolt to get to my friends. Standing there, scouting out the place, I realized how dumb I probably looked just standing there, and how bad it stunk. I mean it smelled like a whole boys’ gym locker in there. Eww! Finally, I found my friends, and without testing the trampolines, I just ran. One step. Two steps. Three steps. Fourth step, oh no. My foot was sideways, and I felt and heard a pop. Oh cheese. This is not good! I thought to myself. I finally got to my friend Issy, and I was fighting back the tears. I didn’t want to ruin her birthday.

“Are you ok?” she asked concerned.

“No, I just broke my foot, and I can’t walk or jump anymore!” I said crying.

“Yes, you can, Taylor. You’ll be fine,” Issy said. I didn’t say anything but nod my head to say, yes. I couldn’t believe that she talked me into not telling anyone that I was a cripple. We went over to the other girls and started jumping and having a good time. Well, the other girls were. I wasn’t jumping because of my foot. My mom was watching us, then she called me over. Oh great, I thought. What does she want?

“Why aren’t you jumping? she asked sounding mad. “Issy’s parents paid a lot of money for you to be here and for you to jump! GO!”

“Mom, I hurt my foot when we first got here, I can’t”, I said in pain.

“You’re fine. Go jump.” she said, annoyed.

I was so upset that she didn’t believe me, so I did what she told me. I started jumping. I was in so much pain, but I just had to fight through it. I decided to do a front flip. I don’t know why, but I did. I ended up over rotating and landed FLAT on my face. I was so embarrassed, everyone just looked at me all my friends were laughing, and they even stopped the music. It was the absolute worst! And to make matters worse I couldn’t really get up because of my foot! I just wanted to leave.

Finally, it was time to go. I said my goodbyes and started to put on my shoes. I took my left sock off to just look at my foot, and when I did, it was gross. It was swollen, purple, and turning green! My mom took one look at it and turned pale. She put my sock back on because I was turning green. She tried to put my shoe on, but it hurt too bad.

This is where your softball career ends, Tay, I thought to myself. I was being a little over dramatic, but I had never broken a bone before other than that day. We put it on as much as we could and started to walk to the car. I got outside the door of House of Boom and lost it. Alligator tears were rolling off my face, and my mom went to get the car. We got in, and my mom called my dad and told him what happened.

“Do I have to come home?” he asked, concerned.

“No,” my mom said. “I’ll take care of her. I’m going to take her to Immediate Care in the morning.” Well, the next morning, that’s what we did. We went to Immediate Care where they took an X-ray. I was so nervous. They finally came back, and the results were in. I was officially broken. I was so sad, scared, angry that it happened, and I was so disappointed in myself.

It was the worst day because after we got my crutches and my little box shoe that did nothing, we were supposed to be going to the lake with my family and friends for New Year’s Eve. It was so bad because I was stuck in the house with my foot propped up while all my friends were outside going on golf cart rides and four-wheeler rides. why can’t I go outside and go on golf cart rides, It’s not fair! When it was time for the party, I had my crutches, box shoe, and a big jacket. I had to sit in a chair while the rest of my family and friends were outside by the fire and the kids were playing man hunt. I wish I could play, too, I thought to myself. It was a New Years Eve filled with kids laughing, men watching football, women drinking wine, and Taylor, sitting on a golf cart watching her friends play man hunt, going up to the pond, and running around like a chicken with its head cut off.        

This was my personal nerative for my freshmen english class.