One More Game | Teen Ink

One More Game

By GWilliams GOLD, Tirana, Other
GWilliams GOLD, Tirana, Other

“wtf his ult did like 3k damage how is that legit” – leonardo da vinci 1496, founder of the Illuminati

There were three brothers: Morgan,  Waldemar, and Harvey. The eldest of the three, Morgan, had a very respectable job as a Minister. The second, Waldemar, was also a minister. Harvey, the youngest, was another story. He was scrappy, he could never get a job and had a serious gambling problem. He was a ne'er-do-well, someone who could never do well. The eldest of the two brothers felt bad for Harvey, he could never hold a job for more than a week and was struggling to make a living. They got together and agreed, they would get him a gas station, I mean how could he ever get fired from a job where he was the boss. They invited him to meet them.

The two brothers sat on comfy chairs. They both wore a suit and tie, they had fine hats and polished boots. They sat in silence, waiting for their guest. They heard footsteps and the door swung open. In the entrance stood a man, he was tall and unkept. He wore a plaid shirt and overalls. He was dripping wet from head to toe and it seemed as if he had just run a mile, “Nice weather out here, eh?” The elder brothers looked at eachother.

“We need to talk,” the eldest said.

“‘Bout what?”

“We got you a gas station.”  Harvey stared blankly at them.

“What?”

“We got you a gas station.” He repeated.

Harvey was out with his friends, they were in a pub drinking and playing poker. It was the first hand of the night and Harvey was sure he was going to win something tonight. The first hand was not much good, He folded immediately. On the second hand, stuff started to get interesting, He had a pair of aces and a third had turned up. He bet fifty and won, gaining him a hundred dollars. The night went on and he won and lost but he never lost the hundred he had gained.

It was getting late and the people who had lost a lot wanted to retire for the night. They all agreed on one more game and when the hands were dealt he was happy to see a six, seven and eight of spades. He stayed in and no one made any big moves. The next card was revealed, a ten of spades! One more and he would have a straight flush, the second strongest hand in poker. He saw the person across from him scratch his eye, a dead give away that he was bluffing. But Harvey did not want to risk anything yet, so he kept his money. The round went around with no one making any big plays. The last card was revealed, a nine of spades. He had it! A straight flush! It was practically impossible to beat this!

He raised by $50, everyone at the table looked at him with a surprised look. One by one they all forfeited until there was only one man left. The one he was sure was bluffing. He smiled to himself, making sure to keep a straight face and raised another fifty. The man looked at him, and proceeded to move all his money into the pile. Harvey was bursting, this was going to be his lucky day, he was finally going to show his family we could do something. But, he had to match the man first and he had nowhere near enough money with him right now. “I bet my gas station.” The entire party looked at him with a stunned expression. “I said I bet my gas station” The man nodded. Harvey revealed his cards. The entire table burst into chatter. But Harvey was dismayed to see, the man was not sad at all; in fact, he was laughing. He showed his cards, a Royal flush.