The Truth About Pitbulls | Teen Ink

The Truth About Pitbulls

October 12, 2018
By 20SigmanR BRONZE, Republic, Missouri
20SigmanR BRONZE, Republic, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Pitbulls are among the most lovable dogs in the world. Of course, I’m also aware of their troubled reputation. Thanks to years of misinformation and bad press, they’re among the most misunderstood pets. I’m a pit bull owner myself, and I know firsthand what a joy it is to share my life with them. The truth about pit bulls is: They’re sweet, smart, hilarious,and loyal companions. Pit bulls, as we know them, come from the English Bulldog, which were used for sport in 19th century. Then eventually English Bulldogs were cross-bred with terriers to create smaller, more scrappy dogs.

In my home my best friend is a nine month old sixty pound pitbull and he is full of pure love and happiness. In the short nine months me and my dog have bonded more than i've ever bonded with an animal. Pitbulls are truly the most compassionate dogs I have ever been around. As I know these dogs don't have the best reputation but as studies show these dogs are the most misunderstood dogs in the world due to harmful myths. Tested by American Temperament Test Society pit bull terriers are the second nicest dogs in the world just falling short of the Labrador retriever. Percentage Charts consisted of low aggression and, avoidance. Thirteen dogs were tested and pitbulls were 86.8% positive of low aggression. These dogs can also be raised to be completely opposite of happy, companions. The major problem with pit bulls is that the breed remains the dog of choice for bad guys: drug dealers, gang members, and other humans who commonly mistreat their dogs to make them “tougher.”

Dogs are products of their environment as well as their genetics. Pit Bulls are no different than other dogs. They were bred as working dogs and family dogs prior to being bred to bull bait and then dog fight. Animal aggression and human aggression are not the same, it is often difficult for people that are unfamiliar with the breed to understand that these dogs pull energy from their owner and act as they do. If a dog is beaten and abused the aggressiveness that a lot of people believe these dogs to have will uper.

Every dog is different, even within a specific breed. For example, some pit bulls love other dogs, and some only tolerate them, or don’t like them at all. By learning your dog’s preferences, you can decide what kind of environment is best for her/him, and help them be as comfortable as possible. The more the comfortable the dog is the less likely your dog will be violent and aggressive.

Being a pit bull owner can be challenging, but the rewards are endless, and you’re guaranteed a lifetime of love. Go beyond the stereotype and you’ll discover a smart, calm, and loving bread, just as I did, a dog is a dog.


The author's comments:

This paper is my side of an argument over pitbulls. This is personal and hope you like.