Family Recipe | Teen Ink

Family Recipe

By Sammy18 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
Sammy18 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

I sit at my kitchen island coloring a Disney book while in a spinning chair, twirling around, my feet dangling. I wait for the scorching pan to come out of the oven and into my Toucan Sam bowl.

The family classic Mac’n’Cheese recipe has been in my family since before I was born.

I think about the savory melted cheese with slightly burnt breadcrumbs sprinkled on top of the dish, spoonfuls of perfectly cooked noodles and a mixture of cheeses. I hear the beep beep beep.

My dad reaches into the oven with his bright red cooking glove. He gently puts the dish down on top of the stove next to the bowls piled, waiting to be filled. As the smell of the melted cheese and slightly burnt breadcrumbs fill the room, excitement fills me.

I jump off of the stool and run over to my seat at the dinner table and climb into my booster chair and my six year old body is barely above the table. My mom pushes me closer to the table as my sister sits in her seat across from me.

I turn around and my dad scoops the Mac’n’Cheese into the bowls. They soon are filled and brought carefully over.

Once in front of me, I pick up my spoon with my little hands and reach into the bowl.

My mom tells me to wait for everyone to sit down, but it was too late. The pasta was already being devoured.

“Sam! Slow down and enjoy your food please,” she says, each and every time we have this meal.