The Sunday Meal | Teen Ink

The Sunday Meal

By Bonehead42 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Bonehead42 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

"It really do be like that sometimes"

My mother called my brother and me down to the kitchen table. It was a frigid and snowy outside, but still gorgeous Sunday. We both dashed down the stairs to the kitchen. We both knew our favorite meal of the week was on the table.

“No running in the house, and wash your hands before you come to the table,” scolded my mother.

A robotic “Yes mom” followed from my brother and me in return. We washed our hands and I took my favorite seat next to the window.

I smelled the slow-cooker the entire day and I salivated for my mom’s cooking. The vibrant red spaghetti sauce flowed down the expertly cooked penne pasta, topped with fresh basil, and juicy slow-cooked italian sausage pieces scattered throughout the dish. Crisp garlic bread, glistening with butter, and speckled with basil and other spices sat next to the pasta. A fresh salad with spinach, olives, and carrots in a glass bowl placed in the middle of the table.

I looked over the table and couldn't wait to start on the italian feast before me. My mother turned to me after we sat and said,

“Robert why don’t you bless the food.” I nodded my head and said grace over the meal. We all said Amen and then dug into the feast.

I twirled my fork up in the spaghetti, and took a bite. A fireworks show of perfectly seasoned tomato sauce flavor happened in my mouth. Then I tried a piece of slow-cooked italian sausage, perfectly tender and juicy. It was not long until my plate was empty, and my stomach full.

I love this Sunday meal, but chatting with my mom and brother tops any of her cooking, no matter how good.

Recipe For Sausage Pasta with Red Sauce:

6 links mild italian sausage

1 green pepper, sliced in strips

1 red pepper,sliced in strips

4 cloves garlic, minced

3 28 oz. cans dei fratelli tomato Sauce

4 T grated parmesan cheese

1 T oregano

handful fresh basil

salt, pepper, to taste

1 lb. penne pasta

1)Preheat Oven to 375◦. Cook Sausage for 15 minutes, turning once

2)Combine next sausage and next 8 ingredients in crock pot. Cook on High for 4 hours. Slice Sausage into 1” pieces.

3)Cook Pasta according to package directions.

4)Serve pasta topped with sauce, peppers, sausage.