Welcome to the Family | Teen Ink

Welcome to the Family

September 20, 2018
By Anonymous

My neighborhood is uniquely secluded yet filled with a considerable amount of love and laughter by conversing through the hollow areas of our metal fences. The tiny roars of miniature lap dogs echo through our vacant street as multiple power walkers make their way down the winding road. The large maple trees will overwhelm you by their height, however they hold much meaning by the young kids who carved their names in them years ago. Traveling down the road, you will notice that many of these houses appear very identical, but they all hold their own uniqueness inside of them. As you take a look at Copley street, the neighborhood’s atmosphere will capture you in with open arms and make you feel as if you were a part of one massive family.

The smallest house on the corner holds a tremendous amount of wisdom where neighbors will flock to when they are in need of an emotional, heartfelt conversation. It is the one place where you will be greeted with the warm sensation of a running oven and the fresh cocoa smell of chocolate morsels settling into rising dough. Walking into each house, you are immediately faced with a new and welcoming atmosphere that displays a distinct aura, differing from everyone else’s. Behind many houses, thinly layered bricks incorporated into an intricate pattern envelope the grass and host our late night talks beneath the stars. Our neighborhood is a hidden side street that remains silent at night, where only the chirp of a cricket is audible. You will not detect many vehicles choosing our road as a path to travel, but rather children riding freely on their bikes and scooters. Beneath your feet, sidewalk chalk will trace every step you take, it travels down the crooked concrete and terminates at the very beginning of the shiny blacktop.

Frequent giggles and playful noises of adolescence can be heard from the wooden swing sets located in one’s backyard. You can watch from your open windows where the swings sway back and forth as the children tip their heads back in utter glee. When the sun starts to set, you will notice the glowing hues of orange and red peek through the telephone wires that shine through the multiple maple trees aligning the road. Every family that resides in the neighborhood can be seen as having a unique bond with one another that cannot be broken. It differs from other neighborhoods, it is a warm welcome that feels sensational and almost indescribable. The conversations that surround our neighbors travel from the casual work discussions to heartfelt exchanges of getting older and questioning plans for the near future. Rather quickly, you will learn that the elders will treat you like their own, through sending over unexpected baked goods, to kind voicemails asking for needed assistance. You will become to realize that everyone surrounding the neighborhood presents the utmost joy and optimism when it comes to seeing you return to your house for the evening. Setting foot on our street, you will already feel as if you have resided here for years, it is a natural and homely air that will make you feel welcome instantaneously.

The houses that surround our quiet road are rather tiny, but hold many stories and memories that frequently will come up as a topic of conversation. Copley street may modify your outlook on what it is like to feel a part of one ginormous family, it may expose your eyes to how authentic our emotions are with each other. Standing at the top of the street, a burst of joy will spring upon your face and there is no doubt that it will feel like a second home to you.


The author's comments:

This piece is a narration/descriptive essay of my family-like neighborhood. It is a brief look into what it would feel like to step foot in my small yet wonderful neighborhood.