Grandpa | Teen Ink

Grandpa

September 17, 2018
By Anonymous

My Grandpa was one of my role models who influenced me and still is. He was with me wherever I went and was there when I needed him the most. But I fear that as time is passing by my memories of him will forever be gone. I looked at the picture of him and I in the wall and I thought about the lively moments of my grandpa and I.

It was back in summer when I came back from school, excited to hear about the news about Grandpa coming back. He was an elderly and fragile man who was around 80 years old, but he was calm and serene. I loved that he was patient and never scolded me for my wrongdoings unlike my mom who was more strict. He would laugh whenever I cracked a joke. He was the perfect grandpa and he was coming back.

I waited for what felt like days for my dad to arrive back home with my grandpa. And as soon as I was going back to sleep, our door swung and Grandpa came in the house. I came over did our favorite handshake and hugged for about a min. He came back with a big luggage with all my favorite food. Our family agreed for my grandpa to sleep at my room during his stay. My parents and siblings didn't want him because he would loudly groan in pain because of his joint and bone condition which caused him to have spasms and contractions. The first week went well but , but as the weeks go by it was getting more and more serious and my parents took notice and we had no choice but to send him back.

It had only been 3 weeks since he came and it was so much better when he’s here but since he had a serious problem he had to go to the hospital back in Korea. He took all of his luggage and got inside of my dad’s car and my mom suggested I go with him. Mom started bawling out her eyes and that caused me to cry. Although my grandpa tried to ease the situation, I couldn't contain myself because my favorite role model was leaving and there was a chance I would never see him again. My family stayed outside crying for 15 minutes and finally went inside. We also started going to the airport and there wasn’t any conversations during the ride. We finally arrived the airport and I waved goodbye to my Grandpa for the last time and as soon as I turned back I started crying thinking that he might never come again.

Now looking back I think how I could’ve treated him better or make him feel better. But the past is the past. Now reliving my last memory of my grandpa, I finally noticed He always gave to me but I didn’t give back. I look back at the picture of him and me in the wall. I smile and realized that he will be with me like always.


The author's comments:

This is my first essay.