Tim Burton Style in Hansel and Gretel | Teen Ink

Tim Burton Style in Hansel and Gretel

By AlexandriaSofiaTheros BRONZE, Hueytown, Alabama
AlexandriaSofiaTheros BRONZE, Hueytown, Alabama

"If we wait until we're ready, we'll be waiting the rest of our lives." -Lemony Snicket

While you easily can recount famous films by Tim Burton, Sweeney Todd, Beetlejuice, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, there is one that hides in the shadow of his enormous popularity. Many remember the grim, yet energetic and beautiful films Burton has directed over the years. While they are amazing, his first film that made its debut on Disney Channel on Halloween of 1982 displayed Tim Burton at almost his finest. The film, Hansel and Gretel, was only shown once ever, and was removed due the imagery. The Tim Burton film, Hansel and Gretel (Burton), displays all the imagery, talent, and plot Tim Burton uses in his future project.

The first thing that needs to be said is imagery displays his art and style he uses in Hansel and Gretel (Burton). His style is eerie, black, and when whatever he draws usually has a thin body and very tiny pupils, like a corpse. Yet there is a wonder filled feeling to what he makes, always a symbol of beauty and a glimpse of happiness. This makes his movies different, special, and very memorable. Hansel and Gretel not only displays all of this, but rather makes it interesting and smooth. What I mean is, he can get something scary, like a puppet, and make it heartwarming. In Hansel and Gretel, the children are upstairs in a attic, the camera close up on their sad faces. We feel a sadness for them as well. Suddenly, a scary puppet (made and controlled by their loving father by their door), makes the children happy, making the audience pleased . Even though we don’t like the puppet, we love that it makes the children joyfull. The imagery being used, the dark room with the large window bursting light into the room, gives a homey feeling. This is one of the many examples that proves the style of Tim Burton drips from this film.

Hansel and Gretel (Burton) also displays the talent Tim Burton has of sets and camera-work. Like a Wes Anderson movie, (Fantastic Mr. Fox (Anderson), each set is being praised by the camera. The sets are shown at a angle that shows off the style and spectacle of each set. Mostly using tilts, moving the camera up and down, so it shows off the sets and how big or small they are. While it may be small, and not that impressive, there is a certain aesthetic to each design. The opening of Hansel and Gretel starts off with a very eerie set, toys in a white room. Each toy is in the exact style of Tim Burton’s art. They all consists of thing shaky lines and very tiny black pupils. It is satisfying watching the variety of toys and how they function, especially those who want to see his style in his first film. Everything is a bit scary and intense, but fun and satisfying. He usually films with medium and long shots that displays the sets and in a way to see both actors and the set. Also just long enough to suck in the details and truly enjoy it. This is how Hansel and Gretel (Burton) also displays the talent Tim Burton has of sets and camera-work.

Last, the thing that shows the style of Tim Burton is very much so alive in Hansel and Gretel (Burton), is the creepiness he uses in his movies. The film, of course, is based on Hansel and Gretel. While he stays true most of the story, he adds scenes and ideas that makes the film truly a Tim Burton film. The classic story of Hansel and Gretel (Grimm) has a scene where Hansel is taken away from Gretel by the witch to eat. To get a good meal, the witch tries to fatten him up. Tim Burton took this idea, and used it to make the scene his. Instead, while Hansel is alone in a room, a scary gingerbread forces Hansel to eat him. At first he is kind and just tries to persuade him, but then keeps insulting him to do it. This scene is very weird and could be symbolic to many things, but most believe it is just magic the witch is using to fatten him up. This scene proves Burton can alter a scene to make it his, overall keeping the plot interesting and scary while not straying from the adaption he was trying to accomplish. While this is not a very good film,(Even called embarrassing by Burton himself!), it clearly displays his creativity and talent.

In conclusion, Hansel and Gretel (Burton) is able to show off all of Tim Burton. While this may not be his best film, it was his first. He continues and made great films anyway as well. If he gave up the filming industry because of the movie’s rating, would we still find the movies we know and treasure?