Pride, Joy, and Amazing Teammates | Teen Ink

Pride, Joy, and Amazing Teammates

By AbbyGH GOLD, Rolla, Missouri
AbbyGH GOLD, Rolla, Missouri

“You all know the rules and how to play,” Mr. Arnold announces.  He takes three big steps forward and slides the yard stick into place with his foot. “This is the…”
“Wussy one!” we chant back.
“And you can?” He asks. I tense up, anticipating the deafening noise about to begin. Sure enough, both teams’ screams and shouts puncture the air.  “This,” he says moving back is the…”
“Super two!” we respond.
“And you can?” We all bang our feet, hands, pencil packs, folders, and anything else we have against the floor. “Yes, no vocals are allowed,” he says, “Next is the…”
“Curry three!” we shout.
“And you can?” We wave our arms wildly. “Right. No sound at all. And last but certainly not least is the…”
“Impossible four!” I thunder back.
“Remember, the Impossible four has not yet been made and whoever makes it receives bragging rights and gets to name it. Now,” he says marching back to the front and spreading his arms, “Let us begin the greatest studying game of all time? Trash Ball!”
“Bella! What is the definition of migrate?” Mr. Arnold questions.
“Uhh,” Bella says, “to go from one place to another?” Mr. Arnold throws the ball to her. She walks up to the one. I scream as loudly as I can, hoping that Bella will miss.  Bella throws the ball. It bounces around the rim, and then falls out.

The game continues, and Mr. Arnold drills through the teams. Almost everyone? especially the boys, shot the four, but none will fall in.  Finally, Mr. Arnold is back at the top, and it’s my team's turn. I’ll finally be up again soon.

“Kim, what is a pilgrim?” Mr. Arnold asks.  I hope she gets it right.
“A person who travels to holy sites?” she answers.
“Shoot the four!” Everyone yells at her.
“I don't really want to, but okay.” She responds.
“C’mon Kim! You got this!” I encourage. Kim marches towards the four, chucks it toward the trash can, and sinks it? bullseye.
“Yess!” I shout. I can't believe it. She made it. Someone finally made the four.  Now we have the lead! We stand up, run toward Kim, and surrounded her. I squeeze in between people and reach Kim.   “Kim, that was amazing, great job!” I shout as I hug her.
“She should get a Dasani award!” Lexi shouts. Next is Jaimison. That will be crazy if she makes it too. Jaimison walks up to the four and shoots.
“Gosh dang it, that was terrible!” she says and turns away. The ball bounces and falls in. Cheers erupt. “What?” Jaimison says and turns around.
It went in!” I shout. “You made it!” I can’t believe it.  Two people on the same team both made the Impossible four.
Finally, it’s my turn. The familiar bundle of nerves settles in my stomach. Please be an easy one, let it be one I know.
“Abby, what is a subcontinent?”
“Uhh,” I search my memory for the word, “a piece of land that is smaller than a continent?” I guess. He throws the ball, and I catch it as I stand up.
“Shoot the four!” someone shouts. Why not?

“You got this Abby!” Emma encourages. I smile back in response and walk to the dark cross tile that marks the four. My palms start to sweat, and I quickly wipe them on my shorts. A million thoughts run through my head. Should I try to bounce it or not? I hope it’s at least close so I don't make a fool of myself. I ?  I shut off my nervous thoughts and focus. Right foot in line with the basket, bent knees. I squeeze the orange and green ball more tightly and stare down at the green trash can. Please let it go in. I take a deep breath, bring back my arm, and release. The ball sails through the air, hits the floor, bounces, reaches the rim and starts to bounce around. It hits the front, back, left and right side. I hold my breath willing the ball to fall in. It bounces once more and drops in.

“YESS!” I shout and jump up and down. I can't believe I actually made it. We will definitely win now. My teammates mob me. I see Mr. Arnold shake his head in disbelief. I can't stop smiling. Lexi runs into the back of the room and returns carrying three Dasani awards.  She hands them to Kim, Jaimison, and me. Emma grabs a sharpie and tosses it to me. I sign my name, and below that scrawl: dedicated to Emma and my amazing teammates.

Now my success is permanently marked on my Dasani award. The Dasani award sits on the window sill ready for use. This year, whenever we play trash ball,  I take it down, and my head is filled with memories of pride, joy and amazing teammates.