They Are Always with You | Teen Ink

They Are Always with You

By cassier14 BRONZE, Ridgway, Pennsylvania
cassier14 BRONZE, Ridgway, Pennsylvania

I never met my great grandmother. The day I was born she had died a few hours prior of arrhythmia- which is an improper beating of the heart, either too fast or too slow. Even though I never knew her, I could always feel her with me. When I was around five the dreams started. At first I thought they were just bad dreams because I didn’t recognize the woman before me just staring. She was very old. I saw her face. Her face was wrinkly. Her eyes dark and sad or scared. She had a frown on her face. She was wearing a hospital gown. She looked sad and it frightened me and made me feel vulnerable. After I kept having the same dream I started to think it wasn’t a dream, that it was real.

This woman was always sitting on the end of my bed. She was around the age of eighty and she just stared at me. I was scared. At first, but then one night she said something to me: “I’m here, I’m always here baby girl.” She didn’t look so scary to me anymore. She seemed happier, she had a smile on her face and her blue eyes didn’t look so dark anymore. It made her look younger and I could tell she wasn't there to scare me. I felt safe now. I never thought it was possible to reach out to a family member before. Every night she would tell me things. She would say: “your gonna be okay.” or “you're never alone.” Over time, I actually felt better when she appeared - safer.  And she didn’t seem to be frowning so much. She took the role of  guardian angel. There's always a possibility that individuals can connect with family even if only in dreams. I still occasionally have these dreams, and I love talking to her. She tells me things about my family that I didn't know such as . . . . She also tells me about my dad, and how she loved her kids. Even though I  never met her I care and love her so much. She is still with me even if she isn't really with me. I wonder if I can see her in my dreams because she died the day I was born. I have always wanted to ask her why I could see her in my dreams but every time I try, I wake up right when I’m about to ask her. I haven't had that dream in a month. I never told anyone that I could see her in my dreams because she is so real to me that I didn’t want anyone telling me she was not real.

Curiosity changed me. If I were not a little bit curious I would have never said anything back to my great grandmother. I'm just an ordinary girl and this is just an ordinary world, and I am not the only one who has ever talked to their family in their dreams. I don't know if our loved ones are always watching over all of us but I know they care about us. Although I have never met my great grandmother, she knows me.

She will never really leave me and that's why I see her.  They reassure us in our dreams that they still care about us. She never met me while she was alive but she still cares and honestly you don't need to know someone to care about them. She tells me that she's with me and I always feel her with me when I'm sad and need comfort. I will never forget her and I can't wait to go to sleep and see her again. Maybe I’ll get the chance to ask her the question I’ve always wanted to ask her, “Why me?”. Good night Great Grandmother. “I love you.”

These dreams really happened to me and I know that some people think im lying but its true.