Food Memoir | Teen Ink

Food Memoir

By moxi99 GOLD, Manlius, New York
moxi99 GOLD, Manlius, New York

A couple years back I found myself touring China and although it is known for it’s magnificent structures, The Great Wall, The Forbidden City and the Xi’an Terracotta Warriors, I sought for something greater. China is also known for its outrageous food. Of course, when I arrived in my native city, Yangzhou, I tried my most adventurous meal yet. And no, it was not a dog or a rabbit, but instead a frog’s leg. It tasted similarly to fried chicken; crunchy and chewy in all the right places. Although the texture of the skin tasted rough.

Even though the frog tasted delicious, I immediately regretted eating the frog. I owned an African aquatic frog and right before I took a bite, I questioned what I was about to do. I was going to EAT HOPPY (or one of his relatives)! What if he never forgave me? Would Hoppy still love me? I quickly buried my thoughts and questions and just thought about the moment. I’m in China right now, when else am I going to get the chance to eat a frog’s leg? JUST DO IT! I knew when I traveled home I would become a vegetarian again...So I ate the frog.

Once I finished the whole leg, I felt guilty and remorseful. Hoppy’s face came into view and all I could think of was my meal killed a relative, even if it was a frog’s. I know going to China was about creating experiences, since I was born there, but that one left me in a sour mood. Eating the frog was an adventure in and of itself. Looking back, I don’t think I would have eaten the frog, I probably would have gone for the shrimp kabob.