First Day Jitters | Teen Ink

First Day Jitters

By emenzel GOLD, Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
emenzel GOLD, Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey

Five years old was the age I had to be in order to qualify for Kindergarten. As I approached Ho-Ho-Kus in the warm late spring, my pants had felt as though I had wet them I was so nervous to go to this new school with big kids. As I sat nervously waiting for the children before me to get screened, I was anxious for my turn. My mom had taken me to sign in where we met another one of the teachers who would be in my Kindergarten class.

After what seemed like a hundred years waiting next to my mom anxiously, it was finally my turn to get screened. Ms. Bloom had told me to do many things, which made me feel like performing in a circus with people watching my skills. I meet with a few other teachers, who were observing my act. Mrs. Melizia, Mrs. Mcdonough, Mr. Day and the nurse Mrs. Lemon all approached me with kindness.  Meeting with all the teachers gave me a sense of calmness and relief as I was no longer nervous about starting Kindergarten in the fall.

Fast forward a few months, my fate was sealed when I received a letter in the mail. My mom read the following letter aloud to me,

Dear Parents/Guardians,
Welcome Ethan to a wonderful year of kindergarten.  You will be in Ms. Bloom's class this 2007- 2008 school year.  The classroom is # 68.  I hope you have a wonderful year.
Sincerly,
Marianne Bloom
I was filled with excitement that I was in Ms. Blooms class because I had loved her when I meet her at the Kindergarten screening. 
The first day of school arrived in a flash and I woke up very excited. I went through the process of getting dressed, eating breakfast, brushing my teeth, packing my backpack and getting my toolbox ready to bring to school. I had a few extra minutes because I didn’t have to be at school until 8:25 so my mommy took some pictures of me to remember this monumental moment. 

My brother David, my mom and I walked to school, making sure we took the shortcut since we lived so close to the school. Looking around, I saw many parents and kids scattering around. I had to line up behind the sign that said Ms. Bloom’s class. Shane Anderson and Hayden Tencza, my friends from preschool, and I were talking about what we did over the summer. Seeing familiar faces helped relax my nerves about starting school.
Ms. Bloom and the other two teachers announced that it was time to go in so I turned around and yelled, “Bye Mom!” I was really happy to start kindergarten because I was with my friends that I felt comfortable with. 
As we made our way inside, Ms. Bloom said to everyone, “I want to see a big smile on all of your faces if you want to come into the classroom.”Everyone’s face lite up as smiles covered their faces.

Once we arrived at the classroom, Ms. Bloom began directing us. “Everyone look for your name tag on the back of your chair for your seat,” she instructed. Little legs scrambled around as everyone looked around the room for their name tag in order to take residence at their new seat.  After we found our seats Ms. Bloom showed us where to hang our backpack and jackets, which I know now is referred to as a cubby. We then began the daunting process of unpacking our toolbox, which included labeling folders and unpacking supplies in our desks.

My world turned upside down when Ms. Bloom described the specials we got to attend in Kindergarten. I was bouncing with exciting at the thought of getting to go to music, PE, library and art. The day continued with lunch and recess, where I played around on the playground like it was the first time I had ever been. We ended our day with center time. To a five year old, choosing a center was a monumental decision. I finally decided to go over to the cardboard blocks and make a castle. 

As the clock struck 3, Ms. Bloom exclaimed that it was time to clean up because we had to get ready to go home. My face dropped with disappointment of having to leave school. It was crazy how this day had changed my emotions toward school so much. I began feeling anxious and nervous but ended not wanting to leave.

Running up to my mom outside, I joyously said, “Mommy, school was really fun and I made so many new friends. I wish I could come back everyday!”

“Well guess what? You get to come back tomorrow,” my mom chuckled her reply.

I knew right from the first moment when I meet with Ms. Bloom that I was going to enjoy having her as my teacher. Kindergarten turned out to be one of my best years at school.

Do you remembers our first day of kindergarten?