My Major Injuries | Teen Ink

My Major Injuries

By Abby Leair BRONZE, Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Abby Leair BRONZE, Cedarburg, Wisconsin

I’m sure many or some of you have had a couple major injuries in your lifetime so far. If not, I’m sure you know a friend or a family member who has. Or, maybe you’re the only one you know who has had any major injuries, like me. In my family I am known as the “accident prone” child. I’m the only one in my family, besides my dad who has gotten any, or has had the most major injuries in their childhood so far. My dad got stitches, like me, but mine were much more severe than his. Anyways, these are the stories of my major injuries, that many of you may be able to relate to!

The “Magic” Trick
One lovely, Saturday morning I arose from my bed all excited and hyper because my babysitter, Megan, was coming over. My mom needed to go to the grocery store to grab some food, so she gave Megan a call and she came right on over. She got here in a snap of a finger, since she only lives six houses down from mine. Megan was a fantastic babysitter, she was outgoing and super fun! When Megan got to our house she and my mom sat on the couch and my mom explained all the questions Megan had about what my mom wanted her to do. While Megan was asking questions, I interrupted their conversation because I wanted to show them a trick I had. Now, I was only four so I didn’t really know that interrupting someone was rude. I also didn’t know that this trick of mine was a really stupid idea. My trick was to run, then jump up on the couch and then in mid-air turn around, jump off the couch and then run back to where I started. My mom and Megan weren’t really paying attention because Megan was so focused on doing what my mom wanted and I didn’t really realize they weren’t watching me. So I just went and did it. It all turned out how I hoped until.. BANG! CRASH! My hand went through the window! My hand was gushing blood, and I was crying my eyes out. My mom turned around and was so frightened by what she saw that she ran upstairs and grabbed a bath towel because she didn’t know what else to do. We rushed out the door and into the car as quickly as we could. All my siblings jumped in the car, too. My sister, Alli, was so nervous and scared for me that she was also bawling. Since we were in such a rush, I didn’t have to buckle, and of course I thought it was so cool because I was only four.

When we got to the E.R. we checked in at the front desk and got into a room right away. It took a super-long time to get out of the E.R. I remember that when the doctors took off the towel, I saw yellow dots in my hand, which was unquestionably disgusting. After the doctors eyeballed my hand, they said I was going to need stitches right away. I found out that I needed twelve stitches to close up the gash. When I was done getting the stitches, the doctors wrapped gauze around the gash to keep it from getting infected. It was sort of like a soft cast because I couldn’t do anything with that arm, but it wasn’t hard. The thing that really stunk was that it was my right arm, and I’m right handed, so I couldn’t do anything like write, draw, throw: nothing. It took a while to heal, about a month or two, which also stunk.

After the month or two, when I was all healed up, I went into the walk-in clinic and the doctor used this strange metal tool to rip out the stitches. When the doctor took the stitches out, he told me that I had to wear more gauze for a couple weeks, to keep the gash from opening up again. 

When everything was done healing, we had to go back to see a doctor, but this time it was only the walk-in clinic, not the Emergency Room, to make sure everything healed right. I was extremely excited when the doctors told me that everything healed right. Now I could get back to the fun activities I used to do! The scar looked like a backwards seven to me and still does today. The scariest part was when the doctors told me that if the glass had gone any deeper into my hand, I would’ve died! After that, I was extremely thankful the glass didn’t go farther!

The Thanksgiving Disaster

About five years later on Thanksgiving day, another major accident occurred. It was just another ordinary holiday morning in our household, where everyone was excited, hyper, and full of joy. All three of my siblings and I were super-anxious because we were going to our grandparent’s house, and all of our aunts, uncles, and cousins were going to be there. Since we were super excited, we were all extremely hyper; my two brothers and I randomly decided to have a rubber band fight. The rules were that each of us had twenty rubber bands to start off, but if one of my brothers shot one and it didn’t hit me, I was able to pick it up. We all had ten lives, and every time we got hit, we would lose a life. It might sound a little childish, but it was really enjoyable and fun!
We all hid in the sneakiest places we could find and then began the fight. My little brother, Luke, got hit first, then me, then Luke again. Finally Luke and I teamed up on Jake, my twin, and the rubber band whipped him!  Then, of course Jake was going to come after us now. First he got Luke. Then, as I was running full speed around the corner of the wall that connected the kitchen and dining room and up the hallway away from Jake… CRASH! CLINK! I had tripped over a cord and slammed my head into the corner of two walls. I was out of it and saw stars at first, but then I came back to reality and realized that my head was gushing blood. I was crying, a lot. I was upset because I was supposed to be getting in the car to go to my grandparent’s house to see my family, but instead I was going to be rushing out the door and into the car to go to the E.R.

My mom thought I was joking at first, but then she saw my head bleeding and suddenly got anxious and freaked out. My mom rushed me up to the bathroom to cleanse the cut. My dad was still sound asleep at the time, but my mom woke him up right away because she thought I might need to go to the Emergency Room. So, my dad rushed into the bathroom and said that I would definitely need to go quickly. so, we rushed out the door and got in the car as quickly as possible.
When we arrived at the Emergency Room, we checked in and had to wait a while since I wasn’t seeing stars anymore. When we finally got into a room, the doctors checked my blood pressure and also took a look at my head. They said that I was definitely going to need staples, about six to seven. I ended up only needing six, which was excellent. Since I already had gotten stitches, I wasn’t that frightened and nervous because I had an idea of what it was going to feel like.

Finally, the doctors put the staples in and then they wrapped my head in gauze, to keep it from opening up again. The doctors told my mom and I that I shouldn’t lay down completely for eight hours because, if I did, the blood might rush to my head, which might not turn out so well. I was so anxious to get out of the E.R. and go to my grandparent’s house and see all my extended family because it was taking so long. Finally it was over and I was very relieved and thankful. Then, we left to go pick up the rest of my family and headed to my grandparent’s house to celebrate the rest of our Thanksgiving day.

When we got to my grandparent’s house, everyone was asking me questions about my gauze and staples; it was chaotic. But, the rest of the day went great and we all had a great time laughing and playing games. Anyways, a couple days later, we went back to the doctor’s office instead of the E.R. and got my staples removed. I was so glad that journey was over!

Dribble, Dribble, Drop!
Roughly two years after that terrible incident, I had, once again, another major injury. It was just another ordinary school day, where I arose from my bed, went to school, came home for a couple hours, and then went to basketball practice. Everything was normal until basketball practice came around the corner. Anyways, when it was seven o’clock, it was time to leave to go to basketball. I was, and still am, always excited because I love basketball.
When I got there, I laced up my shoes and was ready to go. We started our practice with warm-ups and did some other drills. When 8:10 came around, we started our scrimmage. I was on defense. As the point guard was coming up the floor, she tried to pass it to the wing, but I snatched it and went for a layup, but right when I passed the three point line… BOOM! I smacked the floor and landed on my wrist. I was shedding some tears, but this time it wasn’t that many. I had to sit out the rest of the practice, which was only about ten minutes, so it wasn’t terrible. One of my teammates dad picked my friend and I up because we carpool, since we live so close. My friend begged her dad to get ice cream because she thought it was very necessary at the moment. So, he gave in and we ended up going to Dairy Queen and getting blizzards.

Anyways, when I got home, I told my mom what happened; she thought it was just going to be a sprain, so she said that we could hold off on going to the doctor’s office until tomorrow. We had a really old wrist brace from when my mom was younger, so I wore that to bed. In the morning my mom gave the doctors office a ring on the phone to schedule an appointment for  x-rays. I had to go to school for a couple hours, but my mom picked me up around the end of the day for the appointment. When we arrived at the doctor’s office, my doctor took a look at it. After the doctor took and looked at the x-ray, she said it was just a sprain, so they gave me a new, and more secure, wrist brace. I was so happy it was just a sprain!

But then, on the way to track and field state for my cousin, the doctor called back and said that another doctor took a look at the x-ray and found a tiny crack. I was so disappointed. I wouldn’t be able to play basketball for a month now.

The day after we got back from state, I went to school for the beginning of the day again, but then towards the end of the day I was picked up to go to the doctors to get my cast. We had to wait for the  longest time ever; it felt like a trillion hours, but finally we got into a room. The doctors just checked up on my wrist to make sure nothing more happened for the days I didn’t have my cast. After a while, the doctor took me into the casting room. He showed my mom and I the x-ray and exactly where the break was. Then, he showed me all the different colors for casts. After a long thinking process, I finally decided on pink with sparkles.

After I got my cast, we went back to my school to pick up  my two brothers and my homework. Everyone was asking to sign it; it was pretty annoying. After the six weeks plus, I was very thankful that I could get back to the swing of things with basketball and all my other activities with friends and family!