Permanency is an illusion | Teen Ink

Permanency is an illusion

December 3, 2014
By Insane2001 SILVER, Plainsboro, New Jersey
Insane2001 SILVER, Plainsboro, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
I found myself looking around me at hollow faces, and wondering if this is it, if every heart on this earth has been stained. But then, when I look into our hearts, I see we're all like candles with beauty inside, masked behind wax, hardened by the pain we all must face. But when one of us begins to burn with compassion, our fragrance fills the air, and we unconsciously ignite others around us. I find that the wax melts, and that is our core, our beauty, our light that remains. Slowly we'll burn one by one, till the day we reach the end of our sticks and we're all burning with compassion. So maybe we all have to be set alight.- Percy Jackson, Wolf's Law Chapter 23.


“Then Percy said something else that she would never forget – only this hit closer to home. “Permanency is an illusion.” Percy said emotionlessly.
“What do you mean by that?” asked Annabeth curiously.
Percy’s voice was devoid of emotion when he began talking, but when he did, he sounded almost poetic. “Everything around us will eventually be destroyed – everything that anyone has ever known or ever will know will perish someday. The Second Law of Thermodynamics tells us that all systems approach entropy or disorder. Nothing we know is permanent – the Parthenon will collapse some day, and so will your building and frankly, there’s nothing we can do about that.” He said simply.” –Chapter 5 of Wolf’s Law (fanfic) 

This excerpt was the beginning of a depressing year for me. I had friend problems, a few of my grades could have been much better than what they were, and it was just a time when I had sort of given up in life.

My so called ‘friends’ decided that I didn’t fit in with them, meaning I didn’t care about KIK or Instagram or anything; I cared about other things. So, I was surrounding myself with people who would always look down on me, and that would make anyone sad, or not wanted there, until they kicked me off, which is when I got new friends.My ‘friends’ kicked me off the table at the end of May, so we didn’t have much of school left anyway.

My grades…It was actually only math where my grades weren’t as good as I wanted them to be. Even that improved as the year went on, but the few times I would get a lower grade than what I wanted, I’d feel bad. My parents almost only care about math and science grades, and my brother is dead set on me skipping geometry in high school, and acing everything. They have high expectations, but it’s hard for me to follow through with. Towards the end of seventh grade, however, I decided not to let that excerpt control me. Sure, the author is, no doubt, a well educated person, but also a very good writer. He writes with a lot of emotions that target to move you, but I shouldn’t be depressed after reading that. I love reading it every time, because it makes the goal of being a good writer more achievable.

Now, I’m sure you’re wondering what this has to do with that excerpt, right? Well, that got me started on the whole “everything is useless, why should I bother?” mind set, which means I lost my passion to do things I used to love doing. Then, in addition to everything, I became, I guess, depressed, but not really.

At the end of seventh grade, I found new friends, I got my grades up, and I learned to ignore depressing things, although I love reading that fanfiction due to how well written it is. But, I stopped caring because I figured it doesn’t matter if other people remember me. I don’t need everyone to remember me, or know who I was, but rather, simply my friends and family. And if my family cares about me, which they always will, I figure so what if I mess up a few grades, because if I fix them, does it really matter? Especially now, since I was in seventh grade, and no college cares about seventh grade. So basically, life is boring and sucks, unless you balance enjoying life, with not screwing up your school up. Balance those two parts of your life. The studying, school side, but also the friend, fun side. Don’t be like someone I know, who thinks friends would distract you from achieving your goals. Friends help you when you need them. When I needed my friends, despite me never telling them I needed help[, they managed to help me anyway. As I’ve learned, you can’t let sad things hold you down. You can be sad, but time does heal all wounds.