No Shame | Teen Ink

No Shame

By Daizalove GOLD, Browns Summit, North Carolina
Daizalove GOLD, Browns Summit, North Carolina

There I was in the hot sun waiting in line for a movie that at first I didn’t want to see. My brothers are complaining so much that my ears feel like they’re going to bleed, but I don’t mind. Even in scorching Egyptian desert heat. Even when I thought I saw birds circling around me like my time had come. Even when I was thirsty and tired I didn’t mind. My family was excited about seeing this movie so I stayed quiet. They were worth the torture.

My dad is an old school kind of guy. He was born into a perfect family, raised in a perfect way, and had a perfect life. I don’t know how he got so crazy, but he can always make me smile. As a kid he loved transformers. He watched the cartoons and had all the action figures. He still has the action figures and occasionally plays with them. He looks like a big old kid when he giggles and plays with his little toys. That was his happy place. As soon as the previews for the new Transformers movie came out my dad freaked. He literally counted the days, hours and seconds until the movie came out in theatres.
On a hot summer day, we waited in a two hundred foot long line. From the back you couldn’t see the theatre. I had never seen such a long line for the theatres. It was an hour wait for our tickets. The whole time my parents didn’t say a word, but I could still tell they were excited because my dad had the eyes of a begging puppy dog, so full of hope. It was adorable.
Once we got our tickets we were lost a sea of people. There was no time to get popcorn or a drink and the theatre was too full for us to sit together. I was by myself sitting next to people I didn’t know. It was so tight that I could feel the breath of the person beside me go down my neck. It was warm, disgusting, and it smelt like onions, but I managed to get a good seat near the front, unlike my brothers who were in the back. My parents got a good seat near the front as well. I smelt the popcorn beside me and my mouth watered to the point where my mouth was overflowing. I wanted to stick my hand into the buttery, crunchy goodness. I could have done it. The person next to me was a little boy much younger than me, but I decided not to.
As soon as the movie starts there is a hush in the audience, except for my youngest brother who yelling really loudly, without hesitation, “Finally!” Then after a minute my dad yelled,“Its old school time,” in a squeaky little girls voice. Seriously, I thought to myself. I was so happy not to be sitting next to these people.

The movie was packed with action that could keep your attention through anything, except through my dad’s yelling. Every time a transformer transformed or got in a fight my dad yelled in a high pitched voice, “I can’t take this. They’re getting ridiculous.” He laughed in the giddy voice he only uses when his football team is winning. Every time the main character stopped to kiss while they were in danger my mom would yell, “Now. You’re doing this now. That doesn’t make any sense.” Every time any transformer or human died my brothers would laugh in a deep evil voice that made my spine shiver.
Annoying and embarrassing is what my family was. It didn’t seem like the type of embarrassment that was on accident. I took it as intentional so as we walked out of the building I tried to walk to keep my distance from my family. It was as if I was avoiding a bomb. I didn’t want anyone to know I was with them. From behind them I saw people give my family a scowl of an angry pirate, but they didn’t seem to care. They were too busy talking about the movie, laughing and ranting. We were so close to the car when my dad screeched, “Dude, you’re walking like you have molasses in your pants.”
What was the point of hiding anymore? People stared and scowled at me too. I couldn’t avoid them anymore so I ran to the car and tried to open the door before anyone else saw me, but that was an epic fail because the door was locked. What was a girl to do? I waited for their slow butts to open the door, and they were talking about me moving like molasses. I was so angry and embarrassed. I got to the car and ducked so no one could see me. As soon as the car pulled off I raised my head and buckled my seat belt.
When we got home, I asked in calm, Gandhi like voice, “Did you see all those people glaring at you?” My dad laughed. “Yeah, that was funny.” It took me a moment to register why he found that funny, but now I understand. My family is never ashamed of the way they act. They are never insecure, never judging, and they never get embarrassed. I used to be that way, but when I grew up I lost that. If I would have just had fun and enjoyed the movie, I would have enjoyed myself. My family is shameless, headstrong, and funny and I wouldn’t change a thing.

To this day I laugh everytime I watch the movie Transformers.