No Advice but Your Own | Teen Ink

No Advice but Your Own

By langgg_ PLATINUM, Columbia, Maryland
langgg_ PLATINUM, Columbia, Maryland

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift- Steve Prefontaine

Never take advice from somebody who says “I know exactly how you feel” because they don’t. Sure, someone can go through the same type of situation as you, but there will always be differences within the crisis that will make a world of change. They may know what it is like to have their heart broken, but they don’t remember the times you used to spend together. They can’t remember the way he kissed you or looked at you or touched you because they weren’t there, but you were. You can remember because you were there. So who are they to tell you that time will heal you, or that going on a date will help you move on, or that you are just overreacting? They weren’t there. They don’t know how it felt to be in his arms for hours at night or all the secret conversations meant for just the two of you. If somebody tells you “I know exactly how you feel” they are lying. No one knows exactly how you feel except for you, so do what you think you should do, not what worked for someone else in their similar, yet completely different situation. 

For a while I was afraid of writing. At first it was my escape, a way to express how I was feeling during a hard time, but then it started to hurt. I was reliving things I just wanted to forget, so I didn't write... at all. I think that was more painful, though. Everything was bottled up inside of me, but tonight I wrote again, and I wrote this.