Snippets of Life | Teen Ink

Snippets of Life

By SayakaRxy GOLD, Honolulu, Hawaii
SayakaRxy GOLD, Honolulu, Hawaii

I remember May Day when I was six, swaying my hips and performing waves with my hands. Missing two front teeth and feeling totally out of synch with the Hawaiian Hula.

I remember Flu Shot day, crying buckets of tears when the nurse stabbed me. To this day, the word “shot” is a painful reminder of the excruciating episode.

I remember endless hours at the Kaimuki Public library, sweating, studying, and preparing for the dreaded upcoming Secondary School Admission Test. I came out of the examination hall three hours later, mentally exhausted and craving a grilled cheese sandwich.

I remember my all-girls robotics team in the 4th grade at Sacred Hearts Academy. Two years later, I was the only girl in an-all boys robotics team at Punahou School. Olelo Network interviewed my robotics coach, Mr. Dengler and me. My mom was elated.

I remember the pudgy boy from summer school. He kept badgering me. I hid his backpack in the girls' bathroom.

I remember Ms. Jane, my swimming coach at Aloha Aquatics. She had the friendliest smile and ripped body for a fifty-five year old.

I remember speaking broken Japanese to my host family at Tamagawa. After four days, I finally managed to squeak a clear “Itadakimasu!”
I remember sweltering heat waves in London. I was ecstatic when my Uncle finally installed air condition.

I remember frolicking with the neighbors' children in Tulsa, Oklahoma. We waded in the stream and caught many tadpoles. It was my first real outdoor adventure.

I remember the pocket-sized boy who teased me in class every morning. He sniggered "Sara, Sara." I got even. I beat him in the Continental Math League.

I remember my favorite Shel Silverstein poem, Where the Sidewalk Ends. I was thrilled when I got to inscribe my poem on the pavement for a class assignment. Shel would have been proud.

I remember celebrating Mom's 40th birthday at the Four Seasons in the Big Island. Mom had steak. I had a grilled cheese sandwich.

I remember the 6th grade camp, breaking down and suffering panic attacks. Fortunately, my teachers and friends gave me comfort support and love. I survived.
I remember feeding my chubby hamster too much cottage cheese. His world ended. So did mine.

I remember playing Bingo with my grandmother. I was seven and she was seventy. We tied.

I remember watching Gossip Girl with Mom. Sixteen episodes of Season Two on her bed. Exhausted, but gratified.

I remember butterflies in my stomach, sweaty palms, and heart throbbing at 100 miles per minute. I kissed my mother goodbye and started my 8th grade journey.