I Forgot | Teen Ink

I Forgot

By Isibeal19 PLATINUM, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Isibeal19 PLATINUM, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

*Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.*

I pushed my way into the car, my cheeks rosy from the winter’s cold. I excitedly brushed remaining snow flakes from my long hair, watching as they fell to my snow covered shoes.
“Oh, yeah, happy birthday!” my little brother chimed from the front seat, his big hat falling over his bright blue eyes. “I remembered it, I just forgot to say it.”

“What’s the big deal?” my little sister asked from beside me in the back seat. “It’s not like being twelve is that great. It’s not a big year.”

I laughed, too giddy to become upset at their remarks. “Birthdays are a huge deal in middle school. All of your friends post photos and ribbons and balloons and posters on your locker, and they sing at lunch. Then, sometimes, we get presents. If we’re lucky, that is.”

My sister nodded, not quite paying attention.

“And you sing Cumpleanos Feliz in Spanish class,” my brother added. “It’s really cool, but nobody really knows the words.”

I gazed out the window, vainly attempting to expel some of my excitement. I had watched other celebrations my friends had held, and they made you feel like a queen. You were special that day, and they displayed it for everyone to see. For just one day, I had the opportunity to be noticed.

When we arrived at school, I jumped out of the car and waved goodbye, speeding through the door. I clamored up the steps, my heart racing, eagerly awaiting embraces from friends. I pushed both doors open and sauntered through.

Nothing. My closest friends could be seen huddled in a circle, likely gossiping. Nobody greeted me.

Perhaps they are hiding a gift, I thought to myself.

I made my way over to my locker, and was surprised to find it blank. There were no posters or balloons or ribbons. The pale green mocked me.

Perhaps they hadn’t gotten to decorate it yet. It is still early.

I walked away and took my little sister to her classroom, where I remained for ten minutes. When I returned, I found my locker bare yet again.

The day continued as silently as it had started. It wasn’t until last period that someone walked over.

“Ugh, I had so much homework last night. It was so frustrating.”

I smiled, though I felt like crying. Did nobody remember what day it was? Had no one thought about what they would do for me, or if they would sing? I could no longer hold in my feelings, and tried to contain an upcoming explosion.

“It’s my birthday.”

I watched as shock registered upon her face. I felt my cheeks grow redder than they had been outside.

“I forgot.”

Still no happy birthday.

At the end of the day, I came upon two pieces of paper hanging crookedly on my locker door. The words “Happy Bday” were scrawled carelessly across the front in black pen.

They really had forgotten.

Thank you so much! @mereCat

on May. 4 2014 at 9:04 am
WOWriting SILVER, Broadstairs, Other
Sad but true. only a few of my friends know my exact birthday and i have to remind my not-so-close friends. at least they know the month :)

on Apr. 4 2014 at 11:17 am

Thanks!:) I'm glad you liked it

on Apr. 4 2014 at 11:17 am

Thank you! :)

on Nov. 23 2013 at 1:25 am
VelanedeBeaute GOLD, Sialkot, Other

I vow to shine, like a sapphire, some gem!
I promise, not to whine, but smile till the end.
The symphony of my life
like a violin I will play,
I would vouch,
Vehement to my life I lay.

This fills you up with emptiness and sadness. A nice memoir though. :) 

on Nov. 22 2013 at 1:45 am
mereCat PLATINUM, Horsham, Other

"I am finally colouring inside the lines I live between"

I really like it! You captured the desperate need to deny the truth perfectly as she tries to make excuses when she arrives as well as the vain excitement and cold dissapointment of the tacky sign.