John | Teen Ink

John

November 30, 2012
By Jack Price BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jack Price BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I don’t respond when someone says my name. I rarely use it and hear it only when introduced to teachers. Even in trouble with my parents, they do not use it. Few know my real name. I live behind a disguise.

I was named after my great grandpa, the perfect role model, so I've heard. The all star athlete and perfect student. He was the definition of a perfect man. Having my father look up to him, I live up to an impossible reputation. I feel lonely being the only one I know that understands my problem.

Grandpa went to a school one fifteenth of the size of mine. My school is one of the biggest in the state. Grandpa was the geek. An average student at best is what I am. He excelled in school and learning in general. I’m stuck with the same feeling of all school days the same. Slow. Boring. With the same ending, homework.

Of course grandpa was an all star in football, basketball, and track. I played the "hard hitting" sport of football. But, I quit in 6th grade. Played the "tall man's game" of basketball. I gave up in 8th grade. Played the "fast paced" sport, track. I never tried again after freshmen year. At the moment I play the world’s most popular game, soccer. But haven’t played a minute on Varsity.

John. My grandpa’s name. His identity and legacy. This is the identity I do not see and John is not me. He doesn’t experience the friends or the life I have now. I am John. But my name is Jack. And Jack is me.