Through my eyes... | Teen Ink

Through my eyes...

By Niharika BRONZE, Kanpur, Other
Niharika BRONZE, Kanpur, Other

Hi! My name is Nikon d90. My friends call me Nikki, though. The name’s a little… umm… feminine. But I’m not. My owner doesn’t realize I’m masculine so she calls me Nikki. She sometimes refers to me as ‘it’, though. Ironic, isn’t it?

I never knew my mother. People say she was stolen just after I was born…. Err… made. It’s disturbing, I know. But I never knew her enough to grieve. All I knew about her came from my neighbors and cousins at the show room. They used to say she was one of the prettiest things they had ever seen. Even the great Cannon family fell in love with her. But one night someone broke into the show room and took her away. I can’t say I miss her. I barely knew her after all.

I don’t know who my father is though. No one knows.

Well look at me, getting emotional. (Contrary to popular belief, we do have feelings and emotions. Just because we can’t walk doesn’t mean we can’t feel.)

I’m very lucky I got an owner like Sheena. She treats me well and cleans me regularly.
She even has my cousin, Denny so I don’t really get lonely. But everyone knows I’m her
favorite.

I think today we’re shooting for something important because I overheard Sheena tell her
neighbor that this is her ‘big break’. I think that’s why she picked me. I know this
sounds conceited but it’s the truth. When it comes to big shoots, Denny and the others are
just for show.

She has put me in my case and is now taking me somewhere. My lens is closed and I
can’t see a thing, so I decide to take a nap. When I open my eyes, I’m perched on a
tripod. She looks angry.

“Get off me! You oaf!”, she says.
“I’m sorry ma’am, you may not have noticed but I don’t exactly have feet.”, I say.
“Well then, from where does all that weight come from? Your big head?”.
“You have a very pleasant sense of humor”, I reply, making no effort to hide the sarcasm
in my voice.

Just then, a blonde girl walks in. She’s wearing so much make up, my eyes….umm…lens
hurts just looking at her.

“Oh god! If this is another wannabe actress I think I’ll puke.” We say in unison and start
laughing. Later, I’m to find that her name is Podetta.

I think I’m in love. I just can’t stop thinking about her. Podetta, such a beautiful name.
All night, I think about her. Her quiet laugh rings in my ears as I go to sleep.

But I’ll never see her again, will I?

After a few weeks, I come to know that Sheena is moving her office. She has got a big
offer and we are now shifting to a place called LA. I’ve never heard of it. I hope it’s big.

I’m in a box. Sheena has packed me in a box. Did I do something wrong? To top it all of
my base hurts. More nap time, I guess..

I open my eyes to find myself perched on a cabinet.. I look around. ‘Oh my god!’, I
exclaim, “Is that the new Canon 60D” “Yes my boy, it is I”, he says. “I am a huge fan”, I
say flashing him my brightest smile. Wow, I think to myself, I am sitting in the company
of the greatest camera in the history of great cameras.

A couple of hours later, I see Sheena coming our way.. She looks happy, looks like a
shoot to me.. I need to get ready. But wait, what is that? WHY IS SHEENA PICKING
UP C60D? He’s new! This is not happening, I’m being rejected. It’s a new feeling, a
mixture of sadness and.. anger.

A couple of weeks have passed since then. C60D is talking to someone and guess what I
hear him say?, “When it comes to big shoots, Nikki and the others are just for show.”

Hey, please rate and comment!

Manish9 SILVER said...
on Sep. 3 2011 at 3:34 pm
Manish9 SILVER, Kanpur, Other
nice... could do with a little more ingenuity ..