Why I Like Writing | Teen Ink

Why I Like Writing

By AlexHeller DIAMOND, San Mateo, California
AlexHeller DIAMOND, San Mateo, California

Live with intention. walk to the edge. listen hard. practice wellness. play with abandon. laugh. choose with no regret. continue to learn. appreciate your friends. do what you love. live as if this is all there is. -Mary Anne Rabmacher

Writing has always been relatively easy for me. The words flow easily from my mind onto the paper, as does the story. I enjoy poetic writing especially because I find it the challenging. Through metaphors and analogies, rhymes and delicious adjectives, one can convey their message to the reader without completely telling their story as a whole. You can read a poem many times and produce many different ideas as to what the writer is trying to tell you. Sometimes I write a piece without having any specific idea in mind as to what I am trying to say to the reader, so they can simply interpret it in their own way. Being able to find the deeper meaning behind other poets’ and writers’ work is a skill I cherish dearly because when I read poems by Emily Dickenson or Edger Allen Poe, I need to be able to keep an open mind and read through someone else’s perspective, a more abstract perspective, in order to fully grasp what the writer is saying to you. By simply letting the words from your mind cascade down your spine and then flow through your fingertips, and then hearing the clicks of the keyboard sound, I find myself somewhere else entirely. I love to write and read poetry and stories and hope that I will be able to do more of it this year and in the next three years to come. I believe that by reading others’ pieces I can further improve my vocabulary of writing techniques.

Sandra Cisneros is one of those writers that I find myself able to connect with by simply reading her words. I love how many different techniques she uses and how they make her story even more complex and intriguing. I find myself hungrily trailing the isles of bookstores, looking for new material to devour, by writers I know and news ones as well. I looked for Sandra Cisneros works and often find them in older, family owned bookstores where the sun bakes each and every book on the shelves until they are a delicious golden brown, perfectly ripe for reading. She writes poetically, but in a way that I hope people who are not poetry fans can understand. That is one of the many reasons I love her works.