Stranded | Teen Ink

Stranded

June 2, 2021
By Anonymous

After a great spring break vacation, it was time to pack everything up and catch a flight back home. As I begin packing my luggage my Mom quickly enters my room in a panic. I gaze over at her stern frown. ”Be ready to leave in 15 minutes, we have to check in our luggage and bags when we arrive at the airport”. She huffed. “I have been trying to check-in online but the website is not allowing me to check-in.” She sighs “We can’t miss our plane. It's spring break;  all the flights are booked and fewer flights are available, so we have to get to the airport as fast as we can.” She explained. “ Okay, I will quickly pack and be ready,” I reply. As she quickly leaves the room and gently shuts the door.  I quickly gather the rest of my belongings and exit the room.  

I enter the living room, look around the neatly packed and organized room, and begin to reminisce on the vacation.  “We have to check out the hotel and get an Uber to the airport.” My Mom hollers as she scurries around the living room searching for any unpacked items. After 5 minutes of double-checking the room, we finally rush out of the hotel room. We enter the elevator and I press the ground level button to the main lobby. I look over at my Mom and her anxious face reveals more than she can say. “ We have to make sure we call for a Uber soon, most of the Uber drivers cancel due to a lot of customers”. I suggest. “Yes, that's a good idea.” My Mom replies. A ding!  signals that the elevator has come to a stop.  The elevator doors finally open and We enter the front lobby of the hotel to the front desk.  After checking out the hotel I began to search for an Uber driver.  


Eventually, after finding a driver, a black Civic pulls up on the side of the curb. I look through the passenger window and spot a Tan Skinned, Brunette, Middle-Aged Woman. She takes a quick glance at me and gives me a friendly smile as slowly rolls down the window “Excuse me, I'm here to pick Up Judith.” She exclaimed. “Oh Yes! That’s My mom, we requested a ride.” I reply  “Great! My apologies for running behind. Everyone is on spring break, they're many tourists and travelers around this time so the traffic has been insane. '' She explains. “ It’s alright, we have experienced the traffic here as well and it’s no joke.” My mom replies. I quickly grab my luggage and place it in the trunk. I take a quick glance around my surroundings. I zone out due to the atmosphere;  colorful, lustrous city lights shimmer through the night. The busy crowded street filled with streams of cars lined up bumper to bumper along the road; sounds of beeps and honks are heard throughout the busy road.  


Once the car pulls into the airport, I come to the realization that the vacation is suddenly over. The feeling of happiness and tranquility had suddenly disappeared and I begin to feel eager to return home. I open the car door and take a step out gathering my backpack, As I am waiting for my Sister and Mom to exit the car I get the luggage from the trunk. Once we enter the enormous, and sleek airport we rush inside to the find reception desk to check in our flight. I take a quick glance at my phone and check the time 12:15 am. Relieved that we made it on time I take a deep breath and begin the search of the check-in area. 

As we make our way through the congested airport, We find the front reception desk but the massive line of people signaled that we would have to wait. We secure our places and I decide to scroll through my phone to de-stress from the long chaotic queue. As 10 minutes pass the line swiftly progresses. I  see the reception center as we move closer. I excuse myself to the restroom and quickly step out of the line. When I return to the reception area I catch sight of my family who is now at the front reception desk. As I begin to walk over to them I can hear an altercation brewing from the distance. I quickly rush over to my relatives. My mom looks bewildered and I quickly grasp the situation. “ What do you mean our flight has departed already! I checked the tickets and it shows that our flight doesn't leave until 1:00 am.”  My Mom clarifies. 

I begin to grow curious about the situation that is unfolding and move closer to the front desk. I spot a Tall, Blonde, Man wearing black-framed glasses and dressed formally in a black blazer, a white button-up t-shirt, and standing behind the front desk. I take a closer look at the man and glance at his badge which read  ‘Passenger Assistant’ on it,  a genuine and sincere look displayed on his face as he utters “I'm sorry ma'am but the tickets show that your flight departed Yesterday at 1:00 am Not Today, Early flight times cause a lot of confusion with passengers. For instance, Passengers who have flights around 12:00 to 1:00 usually come a day before their plane is departing but in this case, the plane has already departed.” he declares. I start to feel uneasy and distressed as I silently listen to his explanation. I look over at my Mom. Her confused and irritated expression reveals her true emotions.

 

As the minutes pass I struggle to take in the situation I am experiencing, Stranded, and No way to get home. I feel my hands begin to tremble and shake due to the shock of the situation. I look down at my hands and then at my white sneakers as I focus my eyes on them to help me calm down  “ No, No, No, No!” I mutter “ This can't be happening!” I sigh as I continue to listen.  My mom’s voice begins to rise as she announces “I don’t understand how our plane left yesterday when the tickets clearly state that departure is today at 1:00 am, I have things to do and my kids need to be in school!” She exclaims. After the discussion with the Passenger Assistant, we find a sitting area and begin to search for possible solutions to our complications. 


Minutes turn into an hour; I peek through the gigantic glass window and lay eyes on the plane runway. I spot multiple airplanes landing and taking off as  I contemplate and pay close attention to the planes and become astonished by them. I observe the planes as they rapidly accelerate into take-off and then smoothly glide through the air into the dimly lit, dark, sky. I attempt to distract myself from what seems to be a dream. I decided to explore the nearby area of the airport in an attempt to stop the anxiousness that is filling up in my mind. After 10 minutes of wandering around, I make my way back to the sitting area. I attempt to see the positive aspect of this situation but it doesn't seem to work. I sit down in one of the chairs and scroll through my phone trying to help mom in any way that I can. 

After 2 hours in the airport lobby searching for flights, My mom continues her search with many phone calls with customer service and countless conversations with airlines. No progress was made. My Mom, looking exhausted and tired, mutters ”I'm not sure if there's a way for us to get back home, I talked to multiple airlines and none of them have been very helpful.” she sighs. “The only solution that I can think of is staying for a couple more days until more flights are available.” fatigued and tired, I respond with “ Okay.” After that complication and extended vacation, I began to realize how I could have handled the difficult situation better. Instead of thinking negatively and being upset over something I couldn't control I learned how to accept things and remain positive. 


The author's comments:

A memoir about the time I miss my flight in a different state after spring break.