Childhood Outside | Teen Ink

Childhood Outside

By Bri2314 BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan
Bri2314 BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan

I remember being outside everytime I could and I would end up being with my two best friends. Running out the door as fast as I could first to go to my friend Jenna, my next door neighbor. I’d run up to the door and knock out of breath. She would answer the door and throw her shoes on when she caught a glimpse of me. Jenna and I would then run over to Mimi’s and Papa’s house which was Ayri’s grandparents house; then we knock on the door breathless. Mimi would normal end up answering the door.

“Hi Mimi is Ayri here today,” Jenna and me said full of joy.

“Hi Jenna and Bri and yes Ayri is here let me get her” Ayri would run then out the door saying

“See you in a little Mimi!”

We then run to the railroad tracks passing trees down our little dead-end road. We jump on the railroad tracks and walk balancing for as long as we could look at the trees on all sides of us when away from the road. We then would put our heads to the dusty railroad tracks to see if we could feel the vibrations of an oncoming train.

When the graffitied-up, old, and dusty train was coming we run to it as quick as we could so we could wave at the conductor in the train, they normally would wave back.

We would go behind Jenna house into the light green woods full of life and exploring even though we knew every inch of it. We would make up games back there most of the time we would try to find the lost treasure of an imaginary place we make up. Running out of the lush woods yelling that one of us was it, running around our houses and yards. After playing tag we would go inside one of our house and tell scary stories and read urban legends most the time it was in Jenna’s house in her attic.

The dark room.

The dark attic.

The dark stairway, the creaking in every step taken not knowing what is up the stairs, was it a demon waiting for us and take our souls or rip us to shreds, or just a normal looking attic someone would sleep in.

We reach the top and there were two couches, a table, and a TV. The stories would take place. All huddle in a circle speaking in hushed voices. Speaking these legends and made up stories, all wondering if these legends were real.

Another spot we would go and tell these stories would be in Jenna’s grama’s room.

On hot days we would go over to Mimi and Papa’s house and we would swim in the cool blue pool. We would play many games like: marco polo, we played this one a lot; we would see who could hold their breath the longest, we always did this one about five times when we would swim; also, we would have one of us be a shark and we had to “attack” and you have to stay under water until you have to breath and you have to tag someone to not be the shark. After we were done swimming we would go over to my house and play on the trampoline that was shaded by the huge pine tree tilted towards the house. We would play flopping fish, you flop around and have to try and tag the other people; a mummy game, you had to close your eyes and try and tag the other people, and pop the popcorn you sit criss cross and the other people try to get you out of being criss cross from jumping around you.

Picking deep red raspberries, dark abyss black berries, and hanging maw berries and eat half of the many bowls we would pick. My mom would get angry at us but would usually end up laughing because we would eat so much. Other times we would go in dark green woods were there was a bunch of old dusty junk, one of the times we were back there we found the old rusty springs of a bed and we would jump on them like a makeshift rusty trampoline. We would find old beaten up creepy dolls and other creepy junk, and make up  unnecessarily really creepy things that could have gone with the dolls and other creepy junk. All of us got in trouble for going back there by my dad because of the broken glass everywhere back there; however, that never stopped us from going back there.

We knew our favorite game was right around the corner when the beautiful little flower started showing their  bright pigment, white with deep black dots from the center up to the middle of the pedals the light pink was from the center up to the middle of the pedals. The flowers covered the whole tree and the ground below. This is when the weird beans would started to grow.

When the green weird beans were finally done growing.

We jump up and grab the biggest which were the ones high in the tree. When we got the one we wanted we would roughly swing them around at each other like a makeshift sword fight. Aiming for the other beans.

Sometimes hitting the other person's hand painfully hurting but we would continue from having so much fun. We all loved the adrenal; not knowing if our hands were going to get hit, break our bean, or the other person’s bean.