Love At First Sight | Teen Ink

Love At First Sight

September 25, 2019
By erik19 BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
erik19 BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

If there is anything any kid wants it’s a dog. Well, at least I did. Ever since I was little I always asked them for a dog. They would always say wrong and when I asked them why they said it was because they don’t like dogs. I stopped trying because I would always get the same answer. Then everything changed on April of 2018, my parents finally said yes.
My whole family and I went to the dog shelter to look for a dog to adopt. We were looking for a small dog because my parents did not want a big dog running around the house. When we walked in there were dogs barking and crying and all I wanted to do was take all of them home. We looked and we saw a puppy he was a chihuahua and Maltese mix. He’s all white with three brown spots on his back. He was found in the streets with his mom and littermates. All of the littermates and his mom had already been adopted. Once I held him I knew he was the one.
I wanted to take him home that very second but we had to wait a couple of days. The day before picking him up we went to the store and bought everything he would need. When I went home I set up everything so it would be ready for the next day. Finally, the day came the day I got to take my puppy home. On the drive to the shelter all I was thinking about was how my life was going to change. When we took him home most of the time he just spent in his crate sleeping. Eventually, he became the playful dog my family loves today. We took him to the vet where they gave him his shots in which he did really well with.
My favorite thing I did with him in the puppy stage was training him. I was the one that did most of the training. I thought him to sit, lay down, stay and, to go to his bed on command. Potty training was a little hard because the first two weeks he did his business on a training pad and was used to that. When we starting taking him outside he would sometimes have accidents inside but, eventually he got the hang of it.
One of my favorite feelings is when I get home from anywhere whether it be school or from the store he hears the car and goes running up to the door. He is there with his tail wagging waiting for me to play with him. Speeking about playing since hes a very playful dog he has a lot of energy. I love it when we go on walks or to go play outside he always has his tongue out and has a smile on his face. Even tho I will never be able to know what he is thinking I feel very close to him. The thing about my dad not liking dogs he was lying he loves the dog.
Adopting him was probably one of the best days of my life. I never mentioned his name his name is Kylo Carlitos Guerrero. Originally it was just Kylo but my dad would always call him Carlitos we decided to make it his middle name. Sometimes we call him firulais its a Mexican thing.
If you ever are thinking about adopting a dog just know its a big responsibility and hard work. Overall it’s very worth it trust me you won't regret it.