I Believe Music Changes the Moods of People | Teen Ink

I Believe Music Changes the Moods of People

I believe that music changes the moods of everyone but especially mine.

It all started in freshman year. I had one of the worst tempers in Class of 2021. You would see my angry face roam around the halls, punching lockers, and fighting girls left and right. I had no clue how it started, but every time I was furious I would blast some nice ass music from artists such as Future, Gunna, Offset, Tee Grizzley, Lil Baby, and so much more. But I guess I can say that it all started when girls that were Juniors started problems with me for having a mean muggin face. I can’t help, it was just something that would happen naturally. Mean muggin at people wasn’t an intention to cause problems, I just hate to be so smiley throughout school. People would always tell me “B**** you need to smile more. Like you always look pissed and you seem like you wanna f*** someone up.” I didn’t care at all. I was ignorant about everyone and I enjoy to be an independent person. The moment when I listened to music, everything changed.

The sensation was something else. Something I never knew music could do to my feelings. Not even a person can calm me down. I would always bump music 24/7. Things like beats, lyrics, bass, and melodies is what calmed me down the most. But when it comes to music I focus of the beats and the lyrics at the same time. I could relate to the lyrics and I could become emotional and calm when I would hear the words of my favorite artists going through struggles just like I did. The lyrics made me feel like I wasn’t alone because I knew famous artists have gone through tough life situations similar to mine. Two of my favorite quotes that Tee Grizzley mentioned that I could relate to was, “There’s n****s that hate me and don’t even know me” and “These n****s praying on my downfall”. It’s true because back in Freshman year even in Sophomore year people hated me without even knowing me, but waited for my downfall to speak more on my name.  But besides the lyrics I would focus on the beats. It’s feels so soothing to have the bass/beats tremble in my ears and eliminate the noise from the outside world. Listening to music made me feel like I was in my own world where I can be away from all my problems.

Till this day listening to music has helped me focus in school in order to complete assignments. Like at this very moment. I’m focusing on the beats to help me focus on my writing. Music has been one of the reasons why I’ve gained High Honor Roll for two quarters straight. I broke the rules in all classes about using my headphones or a phone. But I did it anyways to benefit me. It may not sound legit but like music has been one of my biggest passions since I became a person with such low patience and anger issues. Listening to music helps me focus and helps me stay positive. It motivates me when I see that I get good results like High Honor Roll because I listen to music. I deeply enjoy it.

I deeply believe that music changes the moods of people but especially mine. Music has helped me grow as a person a lot throughout Freshman and now towards the end of Sophomore year. Because of music it has helped me get away from problems, do my thing, and calm down my anger issues. Music has became a big part of me.

I'm just a 16 year old girl from Chelsea, Massachusetts that struggles with anger issues and drama at school. But this is a personal story about how music affecte me throughout my first years of high school.