Perks of Exercise | Teen Ink

Perks of Exercise

By Miya BRONZE, Goose Lake, Iowa
Miya BRONZE, Goose Lake, Iowa

At 8:00 on a Thursday morning, Sarah runs on the track in her athletic leggings and jacket. Today, like most days, she works out for the 4th time this week. This morning Sarah is energized. Best of all, she is happy. She will go to work today and be productive. Later, she will go out with friends and enjoy herself.

At 8:00 on a Thursday morning, Sam sits on her couch in her pajamas and robe. Today, like any other day, exercise doesn’t even cross her mind. This morning Sam is tired. Worst of all, she is crabby. She has to run errands today and she doesn’t even want to leave the couch. Later, she has to go to the doctor to check her blood pressure because she has been having health troubles.

Sarah and Sam represent opposite poles in exercise routines of people in the United States. Sarah is active. She makes time for a workout on a daily basis. Each day, Sarah feels productive, happy with herself, and content with life. Sam is lazy. She never works out. Each day, Sam feels tired, disappointed in herself, and sad. The contrasts of Sarah and Sam’s routines affect the way they feel about the qualities of their lives. As Kenneth H Cooper said, “The reason I exercise is for the quality of life I enjoy.” Sarah is far better off than Sam, because she understands the perks of exercise and uses it to her advantage. Exercise positively impacts people’s  health mentally, physically, and emotionally.

Exercise produces mental benefits for the human brain. Having strong and enhanced brain muscles is good for the brain’s present performances and the longevity of its persistence. “Exercise May Also Help Memory,” an article from The New York Times says, “in people, studies show that regular exercise over time increases the volume of the hippocampus, a key part of the brain's memory networks. It also improves many aspects of people's thinking” (Reynolds 1). Hippocampus is a small curved formation in the brain. It is involved with forming new memories and assists in learning. The development of concepts and names, is called semantic memory, in which the knowledge known represents the culture of our lives. It usually is one of the first forms of memory to fade as people age. However, testing shows that exercises decreases the activity, in which those parts of the brain had to work. That does not sound good, but less activity suggests that the processing was easier to recollect. Keeping a continuous schedule of exercise strengthens the brain muscles. Sustainability allows it to not have to strain for information in long term needs. The brain also has the aspect of clarity, where exercise enables touch ups in its functions, as well. Walden University evaluates that “Studies on mice and humans indicate that cardiovascular exercise creates new brain cells—a process called neurogenesis—and improve overall brain performance” (“5 Mental Benefits.” 1). Neurogenesis is the growth of nervous tissue in the brain. When the body participates in exercise such as running, it goes through the process of developing new cells. Producing new cells allows the brain and its muscles to grow and repair. Not only do the mental functions of the brain benefit from the source of exercise, but so does the physical body.

Exercise provides well-being to the body’s physical needs. The exterior appearance of the body and its interior overall health is kept nourished when under the influence of exercise. On the website WebMD it says, “By increasing blood flow, exercise helps nourish skin cells and keep them vital. ‘Blood carries oxygen and nutrients to working cells throughout the body, including the skin,’ says Marmur. In addition to providing oxygen, blood flow also helps carry away waste products, including free radicals, from working cells” (qtd. in Jaret). Skin is nourished as blood circulates through the body. Not only does blood carry nutrients, it also carries waste from cells to keep them clean. When people, like Sarah, exercise it increases the flow of blood, which initially helps clear and replenish skin. As the blood is pumping more frequently throughout the body when exercising, the heart is provided with great advantages. On a different online source, Medlineplus, it elaborates more on the benefits of exercise by explaining that “Exercise strengthens your heart and improves your circulation. The increased blood flow raises the oxygen levels in your body. This helps lower your risk of heart diseases such as high cholesterol, coronary artery disease, and heart attack. Regular exercise can also lower your blood pressure and triglyceride levels” (“Benefits of Exercise” 1). Exercise is a strong benefit to the heart. It improves the movement of blood and increases oxygen levels. With these positive factors, Sarah, who exercises is safer from developing several  heart diseases than Sam is. Blood pressure is lowered through exercise. Along with avoiding heart problems, lowered blood pressure helps boost kidney health, improve vision, and decreases risk for having a stroke. As exercise provides the body’s physical health with plenty of benefits, it also assists with emotional health.

Exercise can create a more positive emotional state. While exercise boosts the body, it also raises emotional spirits. The Mental Health Benefits of Exercise article claims that:

Studies show that exercise can treat mild to moderate depression as effectively as antidepressant medication...Exercise is a powerful depression fighter for several reasons. Most importantly, it promotes all kinds of changes in the brain, including neural growth, reduced inflammation, and new activity patterns that promote feelings of calm and well-being. It also releases endorphins, powerful chemicals in your brain that energize your spirits and make you feel good. Finally, exercise can also serve as a distraction. (“The Mental Health.” 1).

It has been said that exercise is a good replacement for taking anti depressants, for there is no side effects. As said earlier, the brain is strengthened through exercise and while this activity goes on in the brain, the body can react with feel good emotions. Endorphins are a type of hormone that react with receptors in the brain that help reduce pain and trigger a positive feeling. Depressing feelings are also distracted during the routine of exercise. Considering these reasons, exercise can help out with protecting and decreasing the idea of being depressed. Plus, only a little bit of exercise is required to make a difference; a Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health did a study and results showed that the risk of major depression goes down 26 percent when a person walks or runs for only 15 minutes a day (“The Mental Health” 1). Alongside of the idea of being less depressed, exercise can make a person happier. The Nation’s Health wrote in their article, “Overall, the observational studies found that active people had significantly higher odds of being happy than inactive people. In fact, even people considered "insufficiently active" had higher odds of happiness than people who were inactive” (Krisberg 1). Insufficiently active adults are active less than 60 minutes a day and their activity is only moderate. The people who do not even exercise very much have a better chance of being happy over the people who do nothing. If Sam were to get off her couch for only a ten minute walk each day, her emotional status would be better off. Then, as she kept up that simple routine she could gradually add a few more minutes to her walks. Sam’s health would be at benefit and she would be happier.  If a small amount of exercise will make a difference, imagine if how happy one could be if they exercised more often. Who does not want to be happy?

Exercise perks up the mind, body, and soul. With exercise, the mental roles of the brain are strengthened. With exercise, the body is flourished interiorly and exteriorly. With exercise, the overall emotional state of a person can be changed positively. Sarah and Sam’s qualities of life contrast immensely, Sam’s being far more negative than Sarah’s. Therefore, the perks of exercising are certainly worth it.